Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I try to move a file from Finder to my desktop Finder becomes non-responsive.

When I try to move a file from Finder to my desktop Finder becomes non-responsive. I restart Finder via alt-command-esc but the problem persists. I am running macOS v. 10.13.1 and Finder version 10.13.1. The problem started sometime after I upgraded to the latest version. I can drag a file from the desktop to Finder ok, but when I try to drag drag it back again Finder locks up. I get an icon for the file on the desktop, but it can't be opened. In order to get the file where I want it, I have to copy and paste it.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 2:54 PM

One of the more common causes for these is failing hardware, so please ensure you have a complete and current backup or two, of all of your data. Sometimes add-on performance-enhancement or add-on cleaning tools or add-on security tools can cause this, so see if things work better when booted in Safe Mode. If things do work better, see if removing those tools per the vendors' directions resolves this. Also see if Disk Utility (accessed via Recovery) can detect problems or corruptions with the file structure. But definitely have an external and complete backup of all of your current data first and foremost, as that's one of the more common triggers for I/O performance weirdnesses.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2017 2:54 PM in response to gusfreeland

One of the more common causes for these is failing hardware, so please ensure you have a complete and current backup or two, of all of your data. Sometimes add-on performance-enhancement or add-on cleaning tools or add-on security tools can cause this, so see if things work better when booted in Safe Mode. If things do work better, see if removing those tools per the vendors' directions resolves this. Also see if Disk Utility (accessed via Recovery) can detect problems or corruptions with the file structure. But definitely have an external and complete backup of all of your current data first and foremost, as that's one of the more common triggers for I/O performance weirdnesses.

Dec 13, 2017 2:56 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks for your reply. I am a bit leery of doing anything that might make me do a recovery of data from backups made to an external Seagate drive using Time Machine. I have never done it and have absolutely no idea how to go about it. I haven't added any add-on cleaning or security tools unless AdBlock for Google Chrome counts. As for trying Safe Mode, I may try that but I'm nervous about doing that too. Your reply was very helpful in that it it had links to good information about how to do the things you recommended - I'm just a bit too old and chicken to try it as I have workarounds for everything that I need to do.

Dec 13, 2017 3:43 PM in response to gusfreeland

If this Mac is reasonably portable and if there's a local Apple Store or Apple Reseller around, that's an option to consider here. After trying Safe Mode and after the Disk Utility diagnostics and particularly after ensuring there are current backups, that is.

Recovery from a Time Machine backup is part of the installation sequence for new software; it's one of the options offered when macOS is first installed or installed after a disk is wiped, and is also offered via the Recovery environment mentioned earlier. The install asks you if you want to migrate in your old environment.

If you've one good and current backup, you're well ahead of some other folks; of the folks that lack current backups or even any backups.

I'd usually want a couple of external backups as external disks are cheaper than the value of my data, and as disks can and do fail and as backup disks can and do occasionally get corrupted. But then I also tend toward data paranoia.

If you're inclined, adding a second disk and using it for a second set of Time Machine backups via alternating backups is part of any recent macOS release.

When I try to move a file from Finder to my desktop Finder becomes non-responsive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.