Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue with Wifi connectivity

Hello, I have a Apple Airport Base Station (the tower looking router w/ hard drive in it), bought it about two years ago?

Issue started yesterday, where both of my WIFI (2.4 / 5) will be on and off and nothing could be connected to it. If I unplug the power cable for a few sec, then plug it back in, the WIFI will then work for a few hours before this happens again. When the issue occurs, I can see the wifi signals on and off every few mins, even when it's on, I can't connect to them. Anyone is experiencing this issue? Please help... thank you

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 1:02 PM

4 replies

Dec 13, 2017 1:17 PM in response to Liniumz

There is a problem with the power supply or less likely, the wireless radio on the AirPort Base Station. This is quite common on base stations that are 2+ years old.

About all that you can do at this point is reset the base station back to factory default settings, and then set it up again to see if that will help. If the disconnects continue, they will start to occur more and more often, and the base station will need to be replaced.

If you have a Mac that is currently covered by AppleCare, the base station is usually included in that coverage for up to 3 years from the purchase date of the AirPort base station. Get with Apple Support for details, to see if your AriPort is covered and will be replaced at no charge.

Dec 16, 2017 3:24 AM in response to Liniumz

I've had the same behavior since upgrading to 7.7.9 / 7.6.9. Oddly I've got two devices that can connect when this happens, but everything else (including another airport that is bridging to it) fails to connect. This is a firmware issue in my opinion, and nothing to do with hardware.

Have downgraded to see if that fixes it (FYI, to downgrade, Option-click the version number of the Airport device to reveal a drop down).

Dec 19, 2017 1:21 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I've just waited 24 hours after doing a factory reset and recreating all the settings on my Airport Extreme. In my case the 2.4Ghz went offline (visible but not accepting connections) while the 5Ghz was fine. WiFi (both frequencies) is now working without any issues. You are indeed correct, this has nothing to do with the firmware, but mine started acting up the same day I did an upgrade.

Issue with Wifi connectivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.