Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no permission to view .jpg

Hello,

I am trying to open .jpgs in a folder on my external hard drive (wd my passport) on my macbook pro (mid 2012 non retina).

this is the error message i get

The file “DSC_2288.JPG” couldn’t be opened because you don’t have permission to view it.

when i check the permissions it says i can read and write on all of the .jpgs and on the folder in its entirety.

i ran disk utility's first aid on the disk but did not make a difference

any clues on what is going on?

MacBook Pro, iOS 10.3.3, sierra 10.12.16 15 inch

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 11:11 AM

1 reply

Dec 14, 2017 12:34 PM in response to yasemin_cakmak

Hello yasemin_cakmak,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities and asking about your .jpg files. I have two articles that can assist you.

Since you mention these files are on your external, please check this help article first: If you don’t have permission to use files on a disk

If you still have trouble, please check this one: If you don’t have the permissions to open a file or folder

You may need to change the permissions to read only, restart your Mac by clicking the Apple > Restart. After it comes back up, you can change the permissions back to Read & Write and test. Thanks and have a wonderful day.

no permission to view .jpg

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.