Install El Capitan or Later from Scratch
Backup if possible before continuing.
- Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the CommandandRkeys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:
- Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on Continue button.
- When Disk Utility loads select the volume (indented entry, usually Macintosh HD) from the Device list.
- Click on the Erase icon in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
- Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
- Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.
- Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
- Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.