Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD Passport for Mac not working on airport extreme

Hi

I want to set up my 2TB WD My Passport for Mac on my 4th generation Airport extreme base station but whenever i plug it in it doesn't show up. It is formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted)

does anyone have an idea what I have to do to fix it?

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 12:34 PM

You will not be able to encrypt the drive if you want to use it at the USB port of the AirPort Extreme. Reason...the firmware for the AirPort Extreme does not support encrypted drives.

Format the drive in Mac OS Extended (Journaled).....with no encryption....and it will work very SLOWLY if you connect it to the USB port on the AirPort. Reason.....the USB port is old and slow USB 2.0, and the internal processor on the AirPort Extreme further limits speeds to about half of normal slow USB 2.0 on a computer.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2017 12:34 PM in response to applegeek02

You will not be able to encrypt the drive if you want to use it at the USB port of the AirPort Extreme. Reason...the firmware for the AirPort Extreme does not support encrypted drives.

Format the drive in Mac OS Extended (Journaled).....with no encryption....and it will work very SLOWLY if you connect it to the USB port on the AirPort. Reason.....the USB port is old and slow USB 2.0, and the internal processor on the AirPort Extreme further limits speeds to about half of normal slow USB 2.0 on a computer.

Feb 9, 2018 2:06 PM in response to applegeek02

FWIW. I had considerable issues using bus-powered USB drives with my AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule base stations, even if they were not encrypted. Basically they would "overwhelm" the base station's ability to provide enough power to the device. Using a power-hub helped along this line, but I still found the base station going "off-line" randomly and required that I restart it in order to access the drive. I had a two-fold solution: 1) Use a USB drive that provided its own power supply, or 2) Stop using bus-powered drives all together.

WD Passport for Mac not working on airport extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.