Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: trackpad not working after sleep - MacBook pro 2017

Hi everyone,

- I purchased my MacBook Pro 15" 2017 a couple of months ago, had no issues till last week, in general I'm very happy with it.

- Now, every time I wake up my Mac, the trackpad is not working. To be precise, trackpad is not clicking.

I can still move the cursor, but no clicking.

- What I'm actually doing everytime, I force quit and relaunch Finder. Then, it's working properly again.

However, this shouldn't happen, right ?

Any kind of advise / help would be highly appreciated

Thank you

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved

Dec 13, 2017 2:15 PM in response to dimitris42 In response to dimitris42

A new Mac comes with 90 days of free tech support from AppleCare.

Limited warranty exists for one year from the date of purchase

Please call AppleCare

AppleCare: 1-800-275-2273

or contact Apple. Contact Apple Support.

Dec 13, 2017 2:15 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Dec 13, 2017 2:21 PM in response to dominic23 In response to dominic23

Hi dominic,

Thanks for your advise. It worked. Had a chat with apple support and solved it.

"...there’s a component on the computer known as the SMC which controls both the sleep/wake function,And the distribution of the battery’s power,Which would include the current shared with the trackpad and its click button,.....try resetting the SMC....To do this, we’ll need to power down the Mac....While the computer is OFF, we’ll hold down shift, control, option and the computer’s power button, all together for ten seconds........IF you do this right, the computer SHOULD NOT turn on.........And it should reset the SMC, which could fix the situation that you’ve been experiencing about the distribution of your computer’s current as it relates to the sleep/wake function and your trackpad click....."

regards

dimitris

Dec 13, 2017 2:21 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Dec 16, 2017 7:57 AM in response to dimitris42 In response to dimitris42

If the problem is with a recently purchased Mac, my advice is always to contact Apple support because the device

is covered under warranty. Telephone support is always preferable to chat support from community.

Thanks.

Dec 16, 2017 7:57 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 18, 2017 12:10 PM in response to dimitris42 In response to dimitris42

Yep! I have the exact same issue after updating my 2017 13-inch MBP to 10.13.2. I haven't tried force quitting the Finder yet, I was force powering off each time. I just did an SMC reset as suggested, so we'll see how that goes. Definitely seems like a software issue if force quitting Finder temporarily resolves this...

Dec 18, 2017 12:10 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 20, 2017 10:51 AM in response to dimitris42 In response to dimitris42

I've encountered the exact same issue after updating to 10.13.2. Trackpad becomes unresponsive to clicks after waking laptop from sleep. Found out that if I force touch it - then the trackpad is alive again.

MBP 2017, 13 inch. Resetting SMC and NVRAM didn't help though.

Dec 20, 2017 10:51 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Dec 29, 2017 2:17 PM in response to stanislavd In response to stanislavd

Same thing happened to me, after a recent update the problem occurred. Were you able to find a solution? SMC didnt work for me as well, the only temporary solution is force shutting down the laptop but after every sleep the problem happens again. Thanks!

Dec 29, 2017 2:17 PM

Reply Helpful

Feb 2, 2018 12:19 PM in response to stanislavd In response to stanislavd

I have exactly the same problem as you, but it was only a few weeks ago that the trackpad of my MBP Touch 13 inch started to become unresponsive after waking from (deep) sleep. Like you, resetting SMC did not work for me and force-pressing the trackpad only works intermittently. I will try to "Force Quit" "Finder" next time (As suggested by one of the other posters) and see if that works, as rebooting the machine each time is a real pain!

Has anybody had a more recent explanation from Apple support about what is causing this issue and what they suggest doing to mitigate it?

Thanks to all of you for sharing this problem and you experiences.

Feb 2, 2018 12:19 PM

Reply Helpful

Feb 9, 2018 12:26 PM in response to dimitris42 In response to dimitris42

Just leaving a note here as I have also encountered this on my new macbook pro 2017. Only 2 weeks old, I had my laptop asleep in my bag, when I pulled it out and woke it up the trackpad would not click. After rebooting it worked ... So this issue is still prevalent in 10.13.3.

Feb 9, 2018 12:26 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: dimitris42

Question: trackpad not working after sleep - MacBook pro 2017