Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trackpad not working after sleep - MacBook pro 2017

Hi everyone,

- I purchased my MacBook Pro 15" 2017 a couple of months ago, had no issues till last week, in general I'm very happy with it.

- Now, every time I wake up my Mac, the trackpad is not working. To be precise, trackpad is not clicking.

I can still move the cursor, but no clicking.

- What I'm actually doing everytime, I force quit and relaunch Finder. Then, it's working properly again.

However, this shouldn't happen, right ?

Any kind of advise / help would be highly appreciated

Thank you

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 2:15 PM

A new Mac comes with 90 days of free tech support from AppleCare.

Limited warranty exists for one year from the date of purchase

Please call AppleCare

AppleCare: 1-800-275-2273

or contact Apple. Contact Apple Support.

30 replies

Dec 13, 2017 2:21 PM in response to dominic23

Hi dominic,

Thanks for your advise. It worked. Had a chat with apple support and solved it.

"...there’s a component on the computer known as the SMC which controls both the sleep/wake function,And the distribution of the battery’s power,Which would include the current shared with the trackpad and its click button,.....try resetting the SMC....To do this, we’ll need to power down the Mac....While the computer is OFF, we’ll hold down shift, control, option and the computer’s power button, all together for ten seconds........IF you do this right, the computer SHOULD NOT turn on.........And it should reset the SMC, which could fix the situation that you’ve been experiencing about the distribution of your computer’s current as it relates to the sleep/wake function and your trackpad click....."

regards

dimitris

Feb 2, 2018 12:19 PM in response to stanislavd

I have exactly the same problem as you, but it was only a few weeks ago that the trackpad of my MBP Touch 13 inch started to become unresponsive after waking from (deep) sleep. Like you, resetting SMC did not work for me and force-pressing the trackpad only works intermittently. I will try to "Force Quit" "Finder" next time (As suggested by one of the other posters) and see if that works, as rebooting the machine each time is a real pain!

Has anybody had a more recent explanation from Apple support about what is causing this issue and what they suggest doing to mitigate it?

Thanks to all of you for sharing this problem and you experiences.

Feb 12, 2018 10:52 AM in response to dimitris42

I am having the same issue as well. I sent my MacBook Pro 15 inch (2017 touch bar) twice for repair, but still have the same issue. On the third time, I called an apple customer relations advisor and they said to replace my macbook with a new one at the store. Have been using a new one since last Thursday but the problem is still here. APPLE WE NEED A FIX

Mar 15, 2018 7:24 AM in response to dimitris42

I use a peripheral either the Satechi Aluminum Type-C Pro Hub Adapter or the Caldigit USB Doc, alu. When I plug in a USB 3.0 harddrive or a SD reader the mouse is not any longer responsive. It seems like it tells the computer the the mouse is permanently pressed!

Resetting (descrition above) the computer didn't work. Unplug the peripherals did not resolve the problem really.

Mar 16, 2018 5:55 AM in response to philnbasel

Now I tried different Adapters:

- Satechi Aluminum Type-C Pro Hub Adapter

- Caldigit USB Doc, alu

and the Satechi Type-C Aluminium Multiport Adapter

It seems to work witha workaround (helas!):

The computer must be turned of then do the SMC resetting (like already mentioned above):

While the computer is OFF, we’ll hold down shift, control, option and the computer’s power button, all together for ten seconds...

IF you do this right, the computer SHOULD NOT turn on...

And it should reset the SMC, which could fix the situation that you’ve been experiencing about the distribution of your computer’s current as it relates to the sleep/wake function and your trackpad click..."

Mar 28, 2018 4:39 PM in response to dimitris42

I have a 2017 MBP 13”. Track pad doesn’t click. I’ve reset NVRAM and SMC, erased hard drive, and reinstalled High Seirra 4 times now over a week or so. I initially erased and reinstalled because kernel panic was preventing boot up. Upon reinstalling, everything worked fine until the trackpad issue which keeps occoring. Btw the trackpad click doesn’t work in safe mode but it does in recovery mode.

Apr 6, 2018 5:11 PM in response to dimitris42

Same problem after Apple Care "fixed it"!!!😠

I sent mine to Apple Care and they replaced the top case with battery under warranty. I picked it up at the Apple Store today, checked that is was working, and went home. I opened it up, and same problem. Restarted, and same problem, not able to click. I did this multiple times (lid closed, open etc.) Plugged in external keyboard and same as before, no click. Booted into recovery and couldn't click. Restarted again, and it's working normal...***?

trackpad not working after sleep - MacBook pro 2017

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.