Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Web pages not loading on mid-2009 MacBook

My son uses my old mid-2009 MacBook Pro. Just recently it started doing something odd. It is connected to the wifi network, and network diagnostics says my connection is good. But when I try to connect to anything that uses internet data — any web browser, App Store, games, etc. — nothing works. Web browsers show the most info, so here's what happens… a page will start to load, and then the progress bar stops at maybe 20-25%. Nothing else happens. The weird thing is, if I disconnect wifi, a lot of times the page will load up at that point. Of course, I can't go anywhere after that. I assume the data is being downloaded, but it won't actually load up while the wifi connection is active. But when I turn wifi back on, I still can't get pages to load.

The one wrinkle is that I can use the iMessage application. Including sending files. Does anyone have a clue what is going on? I've tinkered a lot, but I can't figure it out. I thought it might have something to do with the router signal, but the same thing happens when connecting to my iPhone hotspot.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Mid-2009

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 2:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 9:22 AM

I fixed it, it looks like. I went into the Network control panel and deleted the WiFi option on the left. Then I shut down. I started up again and added WiFi. It still didn't work. So I created a new admin account and logged in as it. The problem remained. Each time the pages wouldn't load, there was an option to run network diagnostics. Each time before, it came up that the connection was good. This time I got a message about a configuration being necessary. I clicked OK, and it ran whatever it ran, and the connection worked again. I logged into the old account, and it worked there, too.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2017 9:22 AM in response to psasser73

I fixed it, it looks like. I went into the Network control panel and deleted the WiFi option on the left. Then I shut down. I started up again and added WiFi. It still didn't work. So I created a new admin account and logged in as it. The problem remained. Each time the pages wouldn't load, there was an option to run network diagnostics. Each time before, it came up that the connection was good. This time I got a message about a configuration being necessary. I clicked OK, and it ran whatever it ran, and the connection worked again. I logged into the old account, and it worked there, too.

Dec 14, 2017 10:29 AM in response to psasser73

That last post wasn't clear (for the sake of people having the same issue). I couldn't edit, so here it is better explained:

I fixed it, it looks like. I went into the Network control panel and deleted the wifi option on the left. Then I shut down. I started up again and added a new wifi connection, connecting to the same network. It still didn't work. So I created a new admin account and logged in to it. The problem remained. Each time the pages wouldn't load when I was first having the issue, there was an option to run network diagnostics. It always came up that the connection was good, so I never bothered clicking it again. After creating the new wifi connection and user account, the network diagnostics thing came up again, and I decided maybe I should try to click it since I had created the new wiFi connection. This time I got a message about a configuration being necessary. I clicked OK, and it ran whatever it ran, and the connection worked again. I logged into the old account, and it worked there, too.

Web pages not loading on mid-2009 MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.