Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"back up automatically" disabled in time machine settings

For some reason the option to select the "Back Up Automatically" checkbox on Time Machine is disabled. I can trigger a backup manually but I want it to automatically backup.

I used to be able to select this option but now it's grayed out, even though I can make changes to Time Machine, such as Select Disk and Options...

I've even run sudo tmutil enable from Terminal but nothing happens.

I'm running MacOS Siera 10.12.6

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), null

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2017 8:46 AM

The late James Pond wrote a wonderful, accessible set of article on Time machine in paricular, and MacOS in general. His writings ended at the same Time Time machine became very stable. despite references to older version of MacOS, his articles are remarkably useful today.

This one may be useful:

.Pondini's Time Machine - Troubleshooting -- A4. Full Reset of Time Machine

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2017 8:46 AM in response to maxbert

The late James Pond wrote a wonderful, accessible set of article on Time machine in paricular, and MacOS in general. His writings ended at the same Time Time machine became very stable. despite references to older version of MacOS, his articles are remarkably useful today.

This one may be useful:

.Pondini's Time Machine - Troubleshooting -- A4. Full Reset of Time Machine

Dec 21, 2017 7:45 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Well I feel like the opposite could be said as well. By providing support for my opinion I’m inviting argument over my opinionated points. I don’t like to argue.

Anyhow,

1) time machine is not bootable.

2) time machine will not save your software keys

3) time machine sometimes makes mistakes with permissions

4) time machine is slow

5) time machine requires too much extra space on a hard drive

6) while time machine does save versions of files, it requires so much extra space that it’s just more efficient to use a cloud service like one drive which does the same thing without decreasing efficiency.

7) i find it extremely slow and sometimes irksome during those dark moments when a computer crashes and it’s already hard enough. Over a network it’s slow. hook up FireWire, slow. I tried thunderbolt, still pretty slow in my opinion. It must be the files structure of time machine or something that makes it slow or the fact that I refuse to pay >$.10/GB for backup medium so I’m stuck with rotational hard dries.

Carbon copy cloaner on the other hand

1) makes a bootable back up of your drive

2) cost a minimal fee with a very generous trial ;)

3) does incremental backups so after the first one all the others are just minutes usually

4) you can customize how it backs up and where

5) it’ll make a new recovery volume for you if you some reason you deleted yours

6) let’s say you back up with CCC. One day your computer crashes. No worries. Open up your computer and replace the faulty hard drive. Then Just hold the alt option key at startup to boot from the external CCC backup drive and then open CCC once you are logged into the system. Now you can copy from your backup drive right back to your new internal drive WHILE YOU WORK. IT IS ZERO ZERO ZERO DOWNTIME.

Needless to say I dumped time machine so hard and so long ago I can’t imagine why Apple even makes something like this.

There is a place for easy, “need no skill to enjoy “ software but your backup solution is not the place. They should make people take a class if it’s too hard to work something like CCC. You only get one shot at recovering data a lot of times and a good backup solution is your best chance.

Now if this post incites a riot, I’m probably going to reply with a single Ha, Just for posterity sake, and then ignore it for all time.

"back up automatically" disabled in time machine settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.