Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How far away from your phone can you be if using cellular?

Apple Watch Series 3, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 2:38 AM

Hi

The functions that are available on your Apple Watch when it is away from the paired iPhone depend on various factors including:

The features and the associated requirements that apply under various circumstances are detailed here, including within the footnotes:

How to use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2017 2:38 AM in response to windsurfer94563

Hi

The functions that are available on your Apple Watch when it is away from the paired iPhone depend on various factors including:

The features and the associated requirements that apply under various circumstances are detailed here, including within the footnotes:

How to use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby - Apple Support

Dec 16, 2017 3:45 AM in response to windsurfer94563

You're welcome! 🙂

The support article linked in my previous reply includes, for example (including within footnote #1):

• "If your iPhone and Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) are both connected to a cellular network, your watch can do everything that it normally does, even if your iPhone isn't with you".
  • "To receive SMS, MMS, or push notifications from third-party apps on your Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular), your paired iPhone must be powered on and connected to Wi-Fi or cellular, but it doesn't need to be nearby."
  • How to use your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby - Apple Support

More information:

Set up and use cellular on Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) - Apple Support

windsurfer94563 wrote:

.. I just want to wear the Watch 3 (GPS + LTE Cellular) in order to make and receive calls in and around my S.F. Bay Area home town (and let my son use the iPhone 6) ..

For various features to operate as intended, Apple Watch and the paired iPhone should only be used by the same, single user.

Dec 15, 2017 10:39 AM in response to Jonathan UK

Yes, I am familiar with the references that you provided me. Thank you. Before opening the Edition Watch 3 box, I wanted to be sure that it will fulfill my needs. I just want to wear the Watch 3 (GPS + LTE Cellular) in order to make and receive calls in and around my S.F. Bay Area home town (and let my son use the iPhone 6) and I had read conflicting answers to this question. I can achieve Sprint cellular almost everywhere around here (or home wifi service), so it should not matter what the iPhone 6 status is. Apple statements say that you can leave your phone at home, but do not say whether the phone has to be powered on or whether the cellular setting has to be activated. The salesman at Best Buy assured me that it will work regardless of the iPhone's status, if I have a Sprint cellular connection. The YouTube videos that I watched are supportive evidence too. Thank you for helping me.

Dec 17, 2017 10:38 AM in response to Jonathan UK

Thank you for responding, Jonathan. I don't use my phone for work or socializing. My story is that I have grown tired of the inconvenience of wearing a fanny pack to carry around my iPhone 4S for emergency phone calls (for $25/month). I would prefer to wear a watch that is a phone (for $10/month). I don't care whether my son can receive my calls on the iPhone 6 paired with my Edition Watch 3 (GPS + Cellular). And I am not going to change my iPhone service carrier. I will be able to reconnect to the iPhone several times each day at home, which will update my Watch 3 adequately. When my son goes to school, he is required to turn off the ringer on the iPhone. The question is whether or not the paired iPhone needs to be turned on with a charged up battery in order for the Watch 3 to make and receive calls? Does the paired iPhone have to have cellular activated in order for the Watch 3 to make and receive calls? In my situation, my son can take and use the iPhone 6 and I can wear the Watch 3 (or visa versa). In that sense, the units CAN operate as stand-alone phones. Consumers like me should be told whether or not it matters what settings and functionality are on the iPhone because I just want to always be able to make and receive phone calls on my Watch 3 in case of an emergency. Cellular connectivity is not a problem because connectivity is pervasive in the San Francisco East Bay Area. Many people will be interested in whether the Watch 3 can be shared in this way. But Apple just says that you can be "away from" your iPhone. I have heard conflicting and non-responsive answers to this simple, relevant question. A clear answer should be available to shoppers. Why should my iPhone and Watch 3 only be used by the same, single person? What features will be adversely affected? Or is Apple afraid of the blow-back from the cellular companies when two consumers share an iPhone and a Watch 3 for emergency calls (like I am trying to do)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.