Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the paired iPhone have to be on to use the Watch 3 cellular for phone calls out?

Does the paired iPhone have to be on to use the Watch 3 cellular to make a phone call out?

Apple Watch Series 3, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 11:21 AM

Yes, I am familiar with the reference that you provided me. Thank you. Before opening the Edition Watch 3 box, I wanted to be sure that it will fulfill my needs. I just want to wear the Watch 3 (GPS + LTE Cellular) in order to make and receive calls in and around my S.F. Bay Area home town (and let my son use the iPhone 6) and I had read conflicting answers to this question. I can achieve Sprint cellular almost everywhere around here (or home wifi service), so it should not matter what the iPhone 6 status is. Apple statements say that you can leave your phone at home, but do not say whether the phone has to be powered on or whether the cellular setting has to be activated. The salesman at Best Buy assured me that it will work regardless of the iPhone's status, if I have a Sprint cellular connection. The YouTube videos that I watched are supportive evidence too. Thank you for helping me.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 11:21 AM in response to Phil0124

Yes, I am familiar with the reference that you provided me. Thank you. Before opening the Edition Watch 3 box, I wanted to be sure that it will fulfill my needs. I just want to wear the Watch 3 (GPS + LTE Cellular) in order to make and receive calls in and around my S.F. Bay Area home town (and let my son use the iPhone 6) and I had read conflicting answers to this question. I can achieve Sprint cellular almost everywhere around here (or home wifi service), so it should not matter what the iPhone 6 status is. Apple statements say that you can leave your phone at home, but do not say whether the phone has to be powered on or whether the cellular setting has to be activated. The salesman at Best Buy assured me that it will work regardless of the iPhone's status, if I have a Sprint cellular connection. The YouTube videos that I watched are supportive evidence too. Thank you for helping me.

Dec 15, 2017 3:41 PM in response to windsurfer94563

If the paired iPhone is used by someone else, they will also get the calls, and if you change the number or carrier for the paired iPhone, it will sever connection with the watch.

The Watch is not a standalone cellular device, it requires the iPhone's cell plan to work. If the iPhone service is changed it will be unpaired from the Watch and the watch's cell connection will stop working.

You cannot use the Watch as a standalone device. While the iPhone does not need to be on at all times, eventually it needs to reconnect to it.

Dec 17, 2017 10:28 AM in response to Phil0124

Thank you for responding, Phil. I don't use my phone for work or socializing. My story is that I have grown tired of the inconvenience of wearing a fanny pack to carry around my iPhone 4S for emergency phone calls (for $25/month). I would prefer to wear a watch that is a phone (for $10/month). I don't care whether my son can receive my calls on the iPhone 6 paired with my Edition Watch 3 (GPS + Cellular). And I am not going to change my iPhone service carrier. I will be able to reconnect to the iPhone several times each day at home, which will update my Watch 3 adequately. When my son goes to school, he is required to turn off the ringer on the iPhone. The question is whether or not the paired iPhone needs to be turned on with a charged up battery in order for the Watch 3 to make and receive calls? Does the paired iPhone have to have cellular activated in order for the Watch 3 to make and receive calls? In my situation, my son can take and use the iPhone 6 and I can wear the Watch 3 (or visa versa). In that sense, the units CAN operate as stand-alone phones. Consumers like me should be told whether or not it matters what settings and functionality are on the iPhone because I just want to always be able to make and receive phone calls on my Watch 3 in case of an emergency. Cellular connectivity is not a problem because connectivity is pervasive in the San Francisco East Bay Area. Many people will be interested in whether the Watch 3 can be shared in this way. But Apple just says that you can be "away from" your iPhone. I have heard conflicting and non-responsive answers to this simple, relevant question. A clear answer should be available to shoppers.

Dec 17, 2017 5:39 PM in response to windsurfer94563

As said, the Watch is not designed to be used as the only cell device you own.

To answer your questions specifically:

windsurfer94563 wrote:

The question is whether or not the paired iPhone needs to be turned on with a charged up battery in order for the Watch 3 to make and receive calls?

No. The iPhone can be turned Off or otherwise not near the Watch, and the watch can still make and receive calls.

windsurfer94563 wrote:

Consumers like me should be told whether or not it matters what settings and functionality are on the iPhone because I just want to always be able to make and receive phone calls on my Watch 3 in case of an emergency.

It can make calls and receive calls without the iPhone being anywhere nearby or turned on. However note the battery life of the watch while exclusively on LTE is not great. 3 to 5 hours at most. It's also incapable of using any other cellular service except for LTE, so if for any reason its taken to an area with less than good LTE coverage, it will not be able to make or receive calls at all.

As said, the iPhone used to set it up, must be using the same phone number. i.e Whatever number the phone has, the Watch will have. You still need to pay for the service on the iPhone and in addition the service for the watch, i.e its not just $10 a month. It's $10 in addition to what you already pay for the cell service on your iPhone.

Also, it may get confusing if both you and your son are sharing a phone number. How would one know which calls are meant for which person?

Basically what you are trying to do, is possible, but with limitations. Again it is not a stand alone Cellphone, its not planned to be, and should not be thought of as such.

Dec 17, 2017 5:50 PM in response to Phil0124

The answer is clearly stated. My son already had the iPhone 6 ($40/month) and I will terminate my iPhone 4S ($25/month) and just use the Watch 3 ($10/month) paired with his phone for emergencies. I will leave the Sprint cellular service turned off almost all of the time. Around my home, the WiFi will keep my watch phone operating. When I go windsurfing at the Sacramento River Delta, I can turn the cellular on at my car to check for messages, which will save the battery. Obviously, not everyone wants such a minimal, life-line phone on their wrist, but I do. Anyone who is like me now knows that they can finally have it.

Does the paired iPhone have to be on to use the Watch 3 cellular for phone calls out?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.