Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In 10.13.1: I find that Mail no longer shows the flags marking email messages in Inbox as icons, only as the word of the color ("Red")

I just upgraded to 10.13.1 (High Sierra) and went to Mail. I find that whereas before, when I flagged messages with different colors and those appeared in the message list as icons, now they appear as the word describing the color, which is much harder to sort through (although may provide benefit to color blind people). Is there any way to change back to the colored flag instead of having to actually read the color in black letters?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 4:07 PM

2 replies

Dec 14, 2017 1:25 PM in response to Anat1

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Anat1.
If I understand your post correctly, you're no longer seeing flags on emails but just the word for the color flag that was set. I'd like to help.
Let's do some testing. Does this continue if you start in safe mode? This article will explain how:
Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac
Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Dec 24, 2017 10:17 AM in response to Leanne_68

Thanks for the suggestion, but in the meantime, the problem fixed itself after about a week (I did not see this post until now).

During the first days, whenever I turned on the computer in the morning the flags showed normally for a short time, but after I did anything in Mail, or after the computer went to sleep, they reverted back to the word describing the flag color, as I wrote in the problem description. After about a week (in which I restarted the computer every morning), the problem no longer happened. It is now permanently fixed. I have no idea what fixed it.

Thanks for reaching out.

In 10.13.1: I find that Mail no longer shows the flags marking email messages in Inbox as icons, only as the word of the color ("Red")

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.