Question: Moderate-sized template causing system overload on high-spec iMac
I've recently set up a moderate sized template in Logic (227 tracks) for orchestral composition. I use instruments from EXS24, NI Komplete Ultimate 11 and Sample Modeling (listed below). I have saved this as a template in Logic. There are no audio tracks in my template - all midi.
However, after recording midi on only 5 tracks in a piece that lasts less than 2 minutes, I'm already getting system overload messages. My machine is recent and high end spec, so I wouldn't expect to be seeing these problems with such low load, but in an attempt to try to address this, and reduce CPU load, I have tried the following settings adjustments (not sure if some/all of these are helpful, but it hasn't resolved my problem):
1 - I/O buffer reduced from 128 to 256
2 - All tracks with no midi events at present turned off (leaving only 5 tracks not bypassed).
3 - All tracks with no midi events hidden
4 - 6 (of 8 available) processing threads selected
5 - Rewire Behavior - off
Anything obvious I'm missing here? I haven't yet frozen all tracks (as I understand it, I can only do this with tracks with EXS24 samples - I don't see the icon on NI tracks for example), but it seems unnecessary given that there is no midi data on these tracks, and they're hidden and bypassed? Also, the hardware spec should easily be able to cope with the very little I'm asking of it at the moment, no?
I really like the idea of using templates, but at the moment, it's not workable for me.
Thanks for any help.
- Computer: IMac 27", 2017, 4.2GHz, i7, 32GB RAM & IMAC 27", late 2009, 2.8Gz i7, 8GB (linked via DisplayPort/thunderbolt connection only - not used for processing)
- DAW: Logic Pro X 10.3.2
- OS 10.3.2
- Sample Libraries: NI Komplete Ultimate 11, Sample Modeling Violin, Cello, Saxes, based on SWAM platform; Trumpet, Horn & Tuba v3, Trombone v3, Trumpet v3 in Kontakt
- Sound Card: Komplete Audio 6
- MIDI input devices: Komplete Kontrol s88 keyboard, StudioLogic midi keyboard, TEC Midi Breath/Bite controller, Leap Motion controller
- Control Surface: Behringer Xtouch