Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

block clone

I'm asking here because I haven't found any satisfactory solutions on Drobo's knowlegebase.

I'm trying to recover a panicked drobo 5D. (Too many drives removed). Drobo forums recommends block level copy of the drive pack. I've done the necessary slot flush. I'm finding that most drive utilities don't actually perform a good old fashioned blind block clone anymore. The issue arrises from drobos proprietary file format. There is no mounted volume due to this. So, many of the utilities such as superduper will not recognize the drive. I looked at carbon copy cloner and it use to do block clones in an old version but it relied on a OS X toolkit that had a 2TB drive limitation. The drives I am trying to clone are 3TB. I've looked at stallar phoenix and stellar drive clone(demo). Phoenix doesn't seem to do a drive clone and rather focuses of file backup and recovery. Stellar drive clone attempts to do a clone but fails on the partition creation. This may be due to their demo not supporting cloning as a free feature. But, the software doesn't indicate either way and there is nothing in their knowledgebase about it. Attempts to contact their support are met with a pay wall. I looked at using the dd command in terminal and it looks rather daunting and I don't want to accidentally cook the source with a bad flag input.

Has anyone successfully cloned a Drobo drive without a data recovery service? And if you did, what software did you use?

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 3:39 PM

There are no replies.

block clone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.