Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why my internal disk drive isn't reading my CDs and DVDs

When I put a CD or DVD in it just spins around and tries to read it but never plays or reads it. The iTunes app or DVD player doesn't open up either. Even when nothing is in the the disk drive the DVD player says supported disc not available. This is very frustrating and I don't know why it stopped working when it was just working fine earlier that same day and when I first got it. Can anybody help me? This is a MacBook 2010.

MacBook, iOS 10.3.2

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 3:43 PM

2 replies

Dec 14, 2017 1:02 PM in response to bigel82

Hey there, bigel82!

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities. If I understand your post, you recently came into possession of a 2010 MacBook, and when you try to insert a disc (DVD or CD), the optical drive accepts the disc but will not mount and read it. I'd be happy to help!

From the information you provided, I would suggest the following steps from Get help with the slot-loading SuperDrive on your Mac computer - Apple Support . You can omit steps that refer to placement or connection of the drive; these refer specifically to an external USB SuperDrive or MacBook Air SuperDrive. The remaining steps refer to both those external drives as well as an internal optical drive, like in your computer:

Accepts discs but they don't mount or are automatically ejected

1. Make sure the drive is not placed upside down. The aluminum enclosure should be facing up as shown in section 1.
  2. Check the disc's surface for scratches and dirt, since these things can prevent the disc from appearing on the desktop.
  3. Connect the MacBook Air SuperDrive directly to the computer's USB port instead a USB hub.
  4. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC).
  5. Ensure your drive can read the specific type of disc being used. The System Profiler or System Information may provide additional information regarding what media your computer supports.
    • OS X Snow Leopard v10.6 or earlier: Open Apple System Profiler by choosing "About this Mac" from the Apple () menu. Then, click More Info.
    • OS X Lion v10.7 and later: Click the Apple () menu and then hold down the Option key. Choose System Information from the menu.
  6. If the disc continues to not be recognized, contact Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or make an appointment with an Apple Retail Store.

Have a good day!

Dec 18, 2017 7:10 AM in response to CarlAVII

Of course taking a 2010 computer to an AASP will just result in them saying they won't even look at anything that old since Apple won't look at anything older than 5 years unless required to do so by law (e.g., California).

Vintage and obsolete products - https://support.apple.com/HT201624

"Vintage and obsolete products

Owners of iPad, iPhone, iPod or Mac products may obtain service and parts from Apple or Apple service providers for 5 years after the product is no longer manufactured (or longer where required by law). Apple has discontinued support for certain technologically obsolete and vintage products.

bigel82: It isn't at all unusual for optical drives to fail after 5 years or so. For one, they are idea places for dust to collect. You can try a drive cleaning disc but I have rarely had those resurrect a failing drive for me. I simply buy an external optical drive for maybe $20-$40. The main issue with those is if you use Apple's DVD player, but there are workarounds such as using VLC media player instead.

why my internal disk drive isn't reading my CDs and DVDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.