Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does gmail cause kernel_task to consume all RAM

This has been annoying for a long time, but within the past month or so I've noticed a dramatic increase in RAM usage by Safari and Kernel_Task only when I am logged in to gmail.com, no matter whether I have other browser tabs on or not. My iMac has 32GB of RAM and Memory Clean 3 is set to run when available memory drops below 4GB. It cannot keep up; I frequently have to force quit Safari or, (if I'm quick enough) the gmail page web content process, or my system locks up with no available memory. Kernel_Task then releases RAM.

I have tried shutting off all extensions. Problem persists. Same problem with JS Blocker plugin on or off (it does not show that it blocks anything to or from the gmail site anyway).

I have searched this forum, ask.com, bing, and google. I find the Kernel_Task memory hogging problem related to Chrome, but I don't have Chrome. I find nothing specific to Safari or gmail.com so…am I the only google user getting beachballed like this?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 4:22 PM

1 reply

Dec 13, 2017 5:54 PM in response to Scott Paine

I would uninstall Memory Clean. It tends to interfere with the computer's operation while providing minimal to no benefit.

Memory Clean Uninstall

Try running this program in your normal user account, then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Why does gmail cause kernel_task to consume all RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.