Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exclamation mark badge on iPhone Messages app icon

Since I upgraded my iPhone 6s to iOS 11 (it is now on 11.2.1) there has been an exclamation mark badge on the Messages app icon for the first 10 seconds after powering the iPhone on.

I could live with that if it weren’t for another, likely related, issue: After powering the iPhone on, the Messages app does not show any iMessages sent to me while the phone was off. I can see those iMessages on my iPad and Mac, just not on my iPhone.

I have tried everything I could think of: Reset network settings; Restored the iPhone and applied latest backup; Turned iMessage of and on multiple times. All to no avail.

Does anyone one have an idea of how to troubleshoot the exclamation mark issue I am experiencing?

Thanks.

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 3:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2018 10:30 AM

Having updated to iOS 11.2.5 yesterday, the exclamation mark that appeared on start-up has gone and tests today suggest that iMessages sent when the phone is switched off are delivered when the phone is switched back on. I would be very interested to hear if others have the same experience. Assuming they do, it looks as if the problem has been solved. Fingers crossed!

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2018 10:30 AM in response to Book

Having updated to iOS 11.2.5 yesterday, the exclamation mark that appeared on start-up has gone and tests today suggest that iMessages sent when the phone is switched off are delivered when the phone is switched back on. I would be very interested to hear if others have the same experience. Assuming they do, it looks as if the problem has been solved. Fingers crossed!

Dec 19, 2017 11:25 AM in response to Book

I have the same problem on my 6S. It first occurred when I updated to iOS 11.2. The update to 11.2.1 didn't resolve the issue. Having now discussed the issue with Apple Support in the UK on three occasions (including a screen sharing session), I too have gone through the reset, restore route with no success. It appears that Apple Support are aware of the messages not appearing issue but not, it appears, the presence of the exclamation mark upon start-up. I will contact Apple Support after the Christmas holiday period and report back if a solution is found.

Dec 19, 2017 6:45 PM in response to Chris762

I spoke with Apple Support in the US who were unable to solve the issue and referred me to the Genius Bar in a local Apple Store. The Apple expert in the Genius Bar spent a lot of time troubleshooting the issue. But in the end could only suggest that I reset my iPhone 6S to factory settings (i.e. wipe it completely) and that I NOT restore my backup. I followed his advice (and of course lost all old Messages, as he had warned me). I then re-downloaded all the apps I used to have, one by one. The end result was unfortunately not satisfying: The red exclamation mark no longer appears, but I still don't receive any Messages sent to me while the phone is off. I would be interested in hearing what you learn from your Apple Support after the Christmas holiday period.

Dec 19, 2017 7:44 PM in response to lobsterghost1

By off I mean the phone is powered completely off.

After powering the iPhone on again I would expect it to show all iMessages that were sent to me while it was off, but it doesn’t. If someone sends me an iMessage while my iPhone is off I never see that message after powering the iPhone on. That message, or it could be multiple messages, is simply lost.

Dec 21, 2017 1:09 PM in response to Book

Having read your experience with the Apple Genius, I contacted Apple Support in the UK and recounted the guidance the Genius had provided to you, the steps you had taken and the outcome. Apple Support indicated that they are aware of both the rogue exclamation mark and the missing messages problem. They indicated that they consider the issues to be unrelated, adding that they are not only affecting the iPhone 6S. I then replicated the steps you have taken i.e. reset as a new phone rather than from a back-up. At the time of writing, the exclamation mark has gone and my phone is receiving messages when it is switched off. I can't understand why it appears to have worked for me and not for you, but if you have any questions which you think may help you resolve the problem, I will do my best to answer them.

Dec 21, 2017 12:07 PM in response to Chris762

Thanks very much for this additional information. Glad to hear the issues are known by Apple, at least in the UK, and great that your issues were fixed. Quick question: I understand your iPhone now receives messages while it is switched off. Does that include iMessages? (I ask because my iPhone can actually receive SMS messages while off but not iMessages).

Jan 2, 2018 11:06 AM in response to Book

As this was the third or fourth time I have contacted Apple Support about this issue, my call was esclated to a senior advisor. After discussing the matter at some length (he was extremely helpful), he undertook to liaise with the engineering team and report back to me in, he hoped, three to five days. Altough unfamiliar with the issue, he speculated that it may be the case that the phone is de-registering from iMessage when it is switched off and re-registering when it is switched back on. I will report back when I know more.

Jan 10, 2018 12:02 PM in response to Mamareads

I am still waiting to hear from Apple Support. If I dont receive a response by the end of the week, I will contact them again. In the meantime, I updated to iOS 11.2.2 this week and while the exclamation mark remained, for a short time yesterday I received imessages sent to my phone when it was switched off. Sadly, that is no longer the case.

Jan 17, 2018 1:51 PM in response to Mamareads

As Apple Support didn’t get back to me as promised, I contacted them again this evening. I was redirected to a senior advisor (based in the US). In short, the problem has still not been fixed. He did, however, take “ownership” of this issue and undertook to keep me advised of progress. I will post again when I have anything new to report.

Exclamation mark badge on iPhone Messages app icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.