Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you mark a clip in the browser that has been used in the timeline

In Final Cut Pro X, how do you mark a clip in the browser that you have used in the timeline? In big projects with hundreds of clips and photos, it's hard to determine which clips or photos have been used.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 6:26 PM

5 replies

Dec 16, 2017 5:30 PM in response to Leopard Girl

The Browser needs to be in Thumbnail View.

You may need to move through the Browser to locate the Used clips in the specific PROJECT that is currently open in the Timeline.

If you have lots of clips in the Browser and you select the Library icon this may be quit the search.

Try selecting the Event to narrow things down.

As mentioned the Orange lines are only seen on the Browser clips of the current open Project.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

In the above example the Orange bars show parts of the same clip used in a particular project.

Al

Dec 14, 2017 6:38 AM in response to Alchroma

Thanks for your response and for the picture - it is very helpful. All of my items are checked just as listed in your example above, however I'm not getting the orange bar on any of my clips or photos when I put them in the timeline. I've tried placed them by dragging them to the timeline and by using the key commands "E and W" and that doesn't make a difference. The clips I've used came from two different cameras - a Cannon camcorder and my iPhone so the source doesn't seem to make a difference. Any other thoughts on how to get the orange bar to show up?

Dec 14, 2017 6:51 AM in response to fox_m

Thanks for the response and the photo - it is very helpful. This does provide another option, but since I've only used portions of most of my clips, almost all of my clips still show up when I select "Unused". Then I have to scan all of the clips again looking for the ones that don't have the very faint yellow box that identifies the used portion of the clip. Possible to do, but not the easiest option.My understanding is that an orange bar is supposed to display on clips or portions of clips that are used in the timeline. That makes visual scanning so much quicker and easier.

I have checked the "Clip Names, Marked Ranges and Used Media Ranges" in the Browser pulldown menu, but the orange bar has never been displayed. Do you have any ideas as to how to get the orange bar to show up?

How do you mark a clip in the browser that has been used in the timeline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.