Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to get photos to stay as jpeg when sent to iCloud

When I take a photo on my iPhone 7 with IOS 11.0 it is in jpeg format but on iCloud it is in HEIC format and I need it to stay in jpeg

iMac, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 6:22 PM

3 replies

Dec 14, 2017 3:58 AM in response to larry70

See this support document: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Have you tried to change the Settings on the iPhone, to take all photos in a more compatible format?

Though capturing in HEIF and HEVC format is recommended, you can capture media using older formats that are more broadly compatible with other operating systems and devices:

1. In iOS 11, go to Settings > Camera.
  2. Tap Formats.
  3. Tap Most Compatible. This setting is available only on devices that can capture media in HEIF or HEVC format.
  4. All new photos and videos will now use JPEG or H.264 format. To return to using the space-saving HEIF and HEVC formats, choose High Efficiency.

You can import photos from your iPhone in JPEG format, if you set the preferences to allow conversion to JPEG:

Go to Settings > Photos. In the "Transfer to Mac or PC" section, disable "Keep Originals" to ensure the media to be converted when importing.

how to get photos to stay as jpeg when sent to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.