Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard Illumination Question

Lurker here,

Just a quick question because it's driving me nuts. I had a MacBook Pro a few months back but got rid of it. Hated needing to get rid of it, but now have an Air.

Question,

What are the conditions of the keyboard illuminating. I could have swore it was on keyboard press, not just FN key presses and mouse movements. Please help me put this question to rest.

MACBOOK AIR (13-INCH, 2017), macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 4:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 8:18 PM

Update v.2

Out of a last ditch attempt (Because I don't want to have to return my MacBook) I did a reformat and re-install of macOS. Surprise! It's working again as intended. I'm assuming it bugged out going from Sierra to High Sierra out of the box. Hopefully if anyone else comes across this issue they'll find my post and can save themselves some time.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2017 8:18 PM in response to Vespenegas

Update v.2

Out of a last ditch attempt (Because I don't want to have to return my MacBook) I did a reformat and re-install of macOS. Surprise! It's working again as intended. I'm assuming it bugged out going from Sierra to High Sierra out of the box. Hopefully if anyone else comes across this issue they'll find my post and can save themselves some time.

Dec 13, 2017 5:22 PM in response to Vespenegas

Update: I contacted Apple support and he suggested I reset the SMC since the behavior isn't normal. It didn't fix anything and I did watch the MagSafe blink showing it was successful. His suggestion since it's only been 3 days since purchase was to return and exchange.

Just as a re-cap.

f1-f12, fn, control, alt/option,command, space bar, trackpad/Magic Mouse movement <- Those caused the keyboard to illuminate.

Everything else not listed above <- Didn't illuminate the keyboard.

Options were toggled on/off, SMC was reset, MacBook tried in a pitch black room, nothing helped.

Thanks for the advice you two, but it looks like it's being exchanged!

Keyboard Illumination Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.