Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos are taking up all the space on my phone.

Photos are taking up 215 gb of the space on my iPhone 7. I can not record new movies. I thought it was supposed to manage the size of my library automatically. And I amconnected to WiFi a lot of the time,so there should be opportunities to upload everything to the cloud. So why doesn’t it free up some space?

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 7:32 PM

6 replies

Dec 18, 2017 9:59 AM in response to marimarthe

marimarthe, try the following:

• If you have a computer as well, sign into the webpage www.icloud.com and open the Photos.app there. You can see, which photos are in iCloud.
  • Now disable iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone in Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos, or go to Settings > Photos & Camera. It may take a very long time, until the iPhone will confirm, that iCloud Photo Library has been disabled.
  • No you can delete photos from the iPhone, and they will stay in iCloud.
  • Once you have freed enough storage, enable iCloud Photo Library again, also "Optimize Storage".

Dec 16, 2017 1:36 PM in response to marimarthe

Optimisation can reduce the storage on your iPhone up to a tenth of the size the photos are using in iCloud, but it will not necessarily do that at once. The size of the library will shrink over time, once all your photos have been uploaded to iCloud. Are all your photos already in iCloud or are youstill seeing "Uploading"?

photos are taking up all the space on my phone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.