Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't change brightness latest Win10 Update

Hello all,

I own a MacBook Pro with a 2.3Ghz i7-3615QM processor. I have Win10 installed via bootcamp. Everything has been working perfectly fine up until the latest Win10 update. After the installation, I can no longer adjust the brightness, neither through the FN+F1-F2, clicking the battery icon in the system tray and changing it there, or going into settings and adjusting the brightness manually.

I have updated all my drivers like the display driver, which happens to be NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, and I opened the NVIDIA control panel and updated the drivers there as well. I have also uninstalled the display driver and let itself reinstall but it still doesn't work. I checked the Apple update app but everything is up to date.

Any ideas on what else I could do or whether Apple and/or Microsoft are aware of these issues? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Windows 10

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 7:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 8:32 AM

I got it!

Here's what I did so others know. If you're having this issue and your NVIDIA GeForce drivers date is 5/1/17 or above, try this method to see if it works. The driver you're installing is dated 6/10/15

- Downloaded the Windows Drivers Package from the Apple Bootcamp support website.

- Opened Device Manager

- Right click NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M and selected properties

- Select the Driver tab

- Update Driver

- Browse my computer for driver software

- Let me pick from a list available drivers on my computer

- Have Disk...

- Browse

- Navigate to where you stored the Bootcamp drivers package (usually USB) to

\BootCamp\Drivers\NVidia\NVidiaGraphics64\Display.Driver\Win10_x64

- Select the driver named "nvao"

- OK

The driver will now begin installing, which can take a few minutes. Your screen should blink once or twice. Voila! Should work perfectly afterwards. My assumption is that the new Win10 updates is not happy with the NVIDIA driver version 5/1/17, which causes it to not work properly.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 8:32 AM in response to jonlalthan

I got it!

Here's what I did so others know. If you're having this issue and your NVIDIA GeForce drivers date is 5/1/17 or above, try this method to see if it works. The driver you're installing is dated 6/10/15

- Downloaded the Windows Drivers Package from the Apple Bootcamp support website.

- Opened Device Manager

- Right click NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M and selected properties

- Select the Driver tab

- Update Driver

- Browse my computer for driver software

- Let me pick from a list available drivers on my computer

- Have Disk...

- Browse

- Navigate to where you stored the Bootcamp drivers package (usually USB) to

\BootCamp\Drivers\NVidia\NVidiaGraphics64\Display.Driver\Win10_x64

- Select the driver named "nvao"

- OK

The driver will now begin installing, which can take a few minutes. Your screen should blink once or twice. Voila! Should work perfectly afterwards. My assumption is that the new Win10 updates is not happy with the NVIDIA driver version 5/1/17, which causes it to not work properly.

Dec 14, 2017 11:37 AM in response to Loner T

So the earliest restore point I have was 12/09/17. It did not fix the issue. I then reinstalled the BC drivers through Apple's Windows bootcamp drivers. Still nothing. My only other option I fear is to delete the partition and reinstall Windows. I really don't want to go through the hassle. Again, everything was working fine up until the latest Win10 updates.

I just hope Apple and/or Windows are aware of the issue and are working on it.

Any other ideas?

Dec 14, 2017 11:53 AM in response to jonlalthan

If you are familiar with Sysprep, then you can remove all drivers, and just re-install BC drivers, and test. It is tricky, because you will lose control of all Apple Devices.

What is the current version of the Apple Keyboard drivers? In Bootcamp.xml, you can see the version which BC drivers will install? Are these different?

Dec 14, 2017 1:30 PM in response to Loner T

Just compared the versions. Both are driver versions 5.1.6160.0

I just tried rolling back the driver to a previous version, 5.0.8.0 and that didn't work.

Before you asked me to check the services, I was going through it to make sure none of the Apple services were stopped. However, the only two Apple services on the list are Apple Mobile Device Service and Apple OS Switch Manager.

Dec 14, 2017 6:25 PM in response to Loner T

2017-12 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4053577)

2017-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4054517)

2017-11 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4048951)

Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4041994)

I am in the process of removing the updates. Once completed, I'll restart my computer and reply to the message board.

Dec 15, 2017 7:44 AM in response to jonlalthan

So I think I found the culprit but I can't do anything about it. The update "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4054022)" cannot be uninstalled. I removed the other updates but I still couldn't change the brightness.

Another thing I noticed was when I close Google Chrome, it hangs in task manager for 2-3 minutes using 100% disk usage. Afterwards, it finally ends in task manager. If I try to reopen Chrome, I get the message "Google Chrome didn't shut down correctly. Restore?"

I'm not sure what's going on with the latest Win10 update, but it's killing my laptop. Last resort is to reinstall Windows?

Can't change brightness latest Win10 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.