Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air Thunderbolt to HDMI converter to iMac Mini Display Port not entering Target Display Mode

Hey there. I have a MacBook Air running High Sierra Version 10.13.2. I have a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter with an hdmi to Mini display port going into the back of an old iMac running OS X 10.6.8 (product details below). From everything I've read, I'm spot on. But when I hit Command F2 (yes I double checked the correlated key for a windows keyboard) nothing is happening and it looks like my Air isn't attempting to enter display mode.

Any tips outside of what has already been posted?

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 10:03 PM

Ok for starters you could upgrade that machine to the latest MacOS, but I would suggest starting with MacOS Sierra, since you can't automatically update from the App Store I don't think.

Here's your machine:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i5-3.6-21-inch-aluminum- mid-2010-specs.html

Here's a direct Apple link to MacOS Sierra:

Do a backup of your machine first.

Downloading MacOS Sierra manually

P.S. What site did you use to get that info?

From everymac.com:

"Additionally, please note that OS X "Lion" 10.7 and subsequent versions of OS X are not capable of running Mac OS X apps originally written for the PowerPC processor as these operating systems do not support the "Rosetta" environment. To run PowerPC applications on this Mac, it will be necessary to use Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard"."

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2017 10:03 PM in response to mryn8327

Ok for starters you could upgrade that machine to the latest MacOS, but I would suggest starting with MacOS Sierra, since you can't automatically update from the App Store I don't think.

Here's your machine:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i5-3.6-21-inch-aluminum- mid-2010-specs.html

Here's a direct Apple link to MacOS Sierra:

Do a backup of your machine first.

Downloading MacOS Sierra manually

P.S. What site did you use to get that info?

From everymac.com:

"Additionally, please note that OS X "Lion" 10.7 and subsequent versions of OS X are not capable of running Mac OS X apps originally written for the PowerPC processor as these operating systems do not support the "Rosetta" environment. To run PowerPC applications on this Mac, it will be necessary to use Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard"."

MacBook Air Thunderbolt to HDMI converter to iMac Mini Display Port not entering Target Display Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.