Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Time Machine lost over 500 days of backups

I noticed my 2tb time capsule was blinking yellow, I disconnected and reconnected the power to reboot it. When I checked my Time Machine status it said I hadn't backed up my computer in over 500 days! Needless to say, I was surprised since I have had daily backups automatically scheduled since I got the thing in 2013. 2 days ago my backups were up to date. Is this thing trashed? The router functionality is still working just fine, I don't exactly want to shell out the money for a new one. Is there a way to recover the lost data? Naturally, I'm doing a backup as I write this, but I anticipate that taking FOREVER. Is there a way to avoid the stupidly long back-up in the future?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 8:29 PM

5 replies

Dec 13, 2017 8:59 PM in response to SManda1983

Is the Time Capsule still blinking amber? That would be the first thing to resolve, before you tackle anything else.

Do you recall seeing a message recently that looked like this?

User uploaded file

If you are starting over with a new backup, hopefully it is not over wireless. A wired Ethernet cable connection from your Mac to the Time Capsule will be 3-5 times or more faster than wireless.

Dec 13, 2017 9:13 PM in response to Bob Timmons

The daily backup isn't usually a long process, it's when the product messes up like this that it becomes an issue. It would have been better for apple to include an ethernet port on the product instead of 2 thunderbolt ports I've never used. Thankfully I don't yet have a nonsensical usb-c only unit. Forgive me for not wanting to spend another $30 after shelling out over $2K for a nice product that lacks some basic, practical features.

Dec 13, 2017 9:20 PM in response to SManda1983

The daily backup isn't usually a long process

This is true, but a new complete backup of your Mac....like you are doing now.....is a very long process over wireless. It will go 3-5 times or more faster with significantly less chances of errors using a wired connection.

Hard to know why Apple chose to leave off the most important port in networking. Styling, perhaps.

Apple Time Machine lost over 500 days of backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.