Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

craig

MacBook Pro 2011. I inadvertently lost access to iTunes library, all content was stored on ext HD. Mistakenly created a new iTunes file on my laptop. Tried to restore original file from HD by establishing media file location where content is located (i.e., My Passport/iTunes/iTunes media/Music) but doesn't work.

GarageBand (Mac) '11, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 11:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 8:02 AM

Hi Craig,

Was your entire iTunes folder — including files such as "iTunes Library.itl" — located on the external drive? If that's the case, you should be able to get things back to normal by closing iTunes, then opening it again while holding down the Option key. This should open a little window prompting you to either create a new iTunes library or chose an existing one. Select "Choose Library..." and navigate to the library on the external drive.

This won't work if you have a "split" library — i.e., media files on the external drive, iTunes Library.itl and other files on the computer. Let us know.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2017 8:02 AM in response to craigfromorangevale

Hi Craig,

Was your entire iTunes folder — including files such as "iTunes Library.itl" — located on the external drive? If that's the case, you should be able to get things back to normal by closing iTunes, then opening it again while holding down the Option key. This should open a little window prompting you to either create a new iTunes library or chose an existing one. Select "Choose Library..." and navigate to the library on the external drive.

This won't work if you have a "split" library — i.e., media files on the external drive, iTunes Library.itl and other files on the computer. Let us know.

craig

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.