Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When answering a phone call there are extra steps now - audio, etc. Why?

Recently when answering a phone call on my iPhone 7 Plus there are extra steps required after accepting the call. I have to press a new "audio" icon in the center, at the top right from a series of choices. And then turn on the speaker if I want to use the speaker. I don't remember needing that "audio" step before. Did something change in iOS? Or did I accidentally change some setting somewhere to "add more steps to make taking calls more difficult"?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), i5, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 10:39 PM

8 replies

Dec 14, 2017 11:44 AM in response to Doug Lerner2

Hello Doug Lerner2!

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! I see from your post that your are noticing extra audio options on your iPhone when answering calls. I can understand how that would come as surprise if you've never seen these options show up before. I'm sure I can shed some light on this for you.

Did you recently pair your iPhone with a new or existing Bluetooth device? Different audio options can appear when your iPhone is currently paired with a Bluetooth speaker or device that allows you to, for example, listen to music but also allow you to speak through it to answer a call.

Take a look at this article Pair a third-party Bluetooth accessory with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch . This article explains how to see what Bluetooth devices are connected to your iPhone, and it shows you how to pair and un-pair (disconnect) any Bluetooth devices as well.

Hope this information is helpful!

Kindest Regards

Dec 14, 2017 3:25 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Thanks for your reply. I did recently buy and pair a set of bluetooth earbuds for the first time. I haven't actually tried using them for calls yet, and most of the time the bluetooth device is off. On the iPhone side the device is listed, but shows as unconnected.

If it is unconnected, why would that interfere with straight-forward answering the phone?

That might be the cause of the problem. But it's still odd, don't you think? I can see the option being made available if there are actually other devices connected. But if there are no other devices connected I wonder why it shows up.

Dec 14, 2017 3:27 PM in response to KiltedTim

This even happens when I am outside, away from my Mac, and iPad, and away from my powered down bluetooth earbuds. Like if I go to the supermarket and just have my iPhone and get a call.

The problem is that it's a nuisance: extra steps to finally answer and talk to the person. Meanwhile they are waiting.

I wonder if there is a way of avoiding that.

Thanks.

When answering a phone call there are extra steps now - audio, etc. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.