Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Conditional hiding of columns

My wife is diabetic. I want to be able to log her diabetes-related data day by day so that we can monitor the success - or otherwise - of her insulin dosage. To do this, I want to be able to log her food intake by meal throughout the day and, against this, also log her carbohydrate count, insulin dose and blood-glucose count (hereinafter "the key data").

Clearly this would soon be a huge table so what I would like to be able to do is hide the columns containing the details of her meals leaving only the key data on display. That way, one could try to draw conclusions regarding results, highlight anomalies, etc.

So at length what I want to achieve is a table where all the data can be entered but only the key data being displayed when required.

Any ideas?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 2:22 AM

7 replies

Dec 14, 2017 10:47 PM in response to mikefromnorwich

Hi Mike,

"Diary" is the name of the table on which the data is collected. The diary table contains only entered data—Date and Time, Meal, Food, Carbohydrates, Insulin and Blood Sugar.

Ian suggests using a pop-up menu for the Meal column as it will contain a limited variety of entries.

The Summary table is used to pull data from only four of the columns—Date and Time, Carbohydrates, Insulin, and Blood Sugar. These four columns can be used to create a single chart (graph) plotting the last three values against the times that the readings were taken. The chart will be an xy scatter graph, with three series sharing the x coordinate values in column A. Data points in each series will be connected by a curve.

You can learn more about charts by creating a document from the Charting Basics template and studying the examples there.

If you'd like an example of the specific chart described here, please copy several lines of data from the Diary table or equivalent) then paste it directly into the page of your reply, where it can be selected, copied, and pasted into a table from which a chart can be constructed.

Regards,

Barry

Conditional hiding of columns

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.