Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using 2 Macs for recording with GarageBand

Hi there,

I try to make quite complex recordings om my iMac 27-inch, Late 2012, 2,9 Ghz Intel Core i5, 12Gb RAM, 1600 Mhz DDR3 Mac OS SIERRA 10.12.6 with GarageBand 10.2.0. I want to put in real Drums without moving this Desktop iMac. So I made a setup in another room where I have an old MacBook 2,4 Mhz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM MAC OS 10.7.5 with GarageBand '11 version 6.0.5.

The MacBook takes 7 channels of drums without problems, but both GarageBand versions are not compatible, so I can't load the lot (= recorded material) from my iMac into the MacBook; it wouldn't be powerfull enough anyway to take more than 16 channels! Possible solution that I tried out: make a temporary Pilot-mix to stereo on the iMac (apparently only possible in iTunes), put it on the MacBook and play and record the drums on that MacBook... After this, all the drumtracks should be put into the the iMac to make a proper mix. If I transfered these drumtracks to the iMac: I had to make them aiff in iTunes one by one, and transfer them one by one. That's not a problem, but the tracks are not automatically synchronised. Is there an easier way of transferring audio from individual audio-channels of a GarageBand-recording on one computer to another while keeping the synchronisation?

(BTW: Would LOGIC make the solution of my problem easier?)

Thanks for possible info!!!

Johan Vandendriessche

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), macOS Sierra (10.12.6), iMac wth GarageBand 10.2.0; MacBook

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 2:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 1:16 AM

your workflow is backward, you could make your life much easier by reversing it.

record a scratch track (or two) on the iMac, say guitar and bass. these recordings don't have to sound good, they can even have wrong notes in them, it doesn't matter; all that matters is that you play in time, and the exact framework you intend to use (verses, choruses, etc)

export that project to disk using the Share menu (i'm not sure why you think you have to use iTunes) as an AIFF file.

bring the AIFF to the laptop and drop it into GB 6.0.5., and record your drum tracks

save the project and bring it to your iMac, open it with GB v10 (it'll ask you to save a copy, do so), delete the scratch track, and now do your _real_ recording of guitars, bass, keys, etc.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 1:16 AM in response to Johan1744

your workflow is backward, you could make your life much easier by reversing it.

record a scratch track (or two) on the iMac, say guitar and bass. these recordings don't have to sound good, they can even have wrong notes in them, it doesn't matter; all that matters is that you play in time, and the exact framework you intend to use (verses, choruses, etc)

export that project to disk using the Share menu (i'm not sure why you think you have to use iTunes) as an AIFF file.

bring the AIFF to the laptop and drop it into GB 6.0.5., and record your drum tracks

save the project and bring it to your iMac, open it with GB v10 (it'll ask you to save a copy, do so), delete the scratch track, and now do your _real_ recording of guitars, bass, keys, etc.

using 2 Macs for recording with GarageBand

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.