Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect QNAP NAS to airport extreme

I just purchased a QNAP TS-253A and I have been trying for several hours to connect to this machine. I have looked at tutorials, user guides and I have browsed through several forums, but I can’t find an answer. So now I pose the question to this forum.

My setup is a Zyxel router (with disabled WiFi) to which I have connected an Apple Time Capsule (wireless NAS server) and I try to make contact to my QNAP with my MacBook Pro over WiFi since my MacBook Pro doesn’t have a LAN port.

I have tried different options: to connect my QNAP with a LAN-cable directly to the router, to connect with a LAN-cable to the Time Capsule and even to an other Apple AirPort Extreme that is in my WiFi-network, but in neither of these setups Qfinder Pro sees the NAS. I have disabled my Firewall and antivirus.

How to proceed?

In a few months we will get internet over fiberoptic and then I will receive a new router. Will that solve my problem?

Can you please help me?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 4:03 AM

6 replies

Dec 14, 2017 4:16 AM in response to Grtgrmrd

doubt the new router should work differently

you can disconnect the router completley and its should still be possible for the mac to access the nas even without internet access that the router brings to the table.

if you connect the nas to the time capsule's switch ethernet ports the mac should be able to see it

you can also see what devices (ip addreses) are connected to the router using apples airport util

Dec 14, 2017 8:07 AM in response to Grtgrmrd

mine is the same

apart from my top is the tall airport extreme which has 1 old type airport express like yours and 1 new time airport express and the old flat airport extreme connected to it

my synology nas(wired ethernet) is connected to the old type airport express

but it seems that airport util only show wireless clients not wired ones, my nas show up under shared in the left side in finder and in synology assistant tool

if it was me then maybe I would try troubleshooting on another network maybe the nas is the problem rather then your network

Dec 14, 2017 10:43 AM in response to Grtgrmrd

My setup is a Zyxel router (with disabled WiFi) to which I have connected an Apple Time Capsule (wireless NAS server) and I try to make contact to my QNAP with my MacBook Pro over WiFi since my MacBook Pro doesn’t have a LAN port.

You disabled the Zyxel router's wireless radio, but did you also reconfigure it as a bridge? How about the Time Capsule? Is it configured as a router or a bridge. I am assuming that the Time Capsule is providing your Wi-Fi network ... correct?

Cannot connect QNAP NAS to airport extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.