Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

remove photos from photos on macbook

hey guys!

I need some help! I've been trying to free up space on my macbook, but I can't seem to delete any photos (imported or not) from the Photos app! what do i do?

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 2:31 AM

4 replies

Dec 14, 2017 8:55 AM in response to zeeecheee

I need some help! I've been trying to free up space on my macbook, but I can't seem to delete any photos (imported or not) from the Photos app! what do i do?

Do the photos not get deleted from the Photos Library, or does it not free any storage?

If deleting photos does not free storage on your Mac, your Photos Library may be stored in iCloud and "Optimized". Then it is futile to delete photos, unless they are photos you do not want to keep

If your photos are not managed by iCloud, and if your Photos Library has been migrated from iPhoto or Aperture, check, if you still have the original iPhoto or Aperture library on the same drive. Toe old iPhoto Library/Aperture Library is sharing the media files with Photos. The storage will only be freed, if the original library is removed as well.

I see, Larry already posted this. But see this link: Photos saves disk space by sharing images with your iPhoto or Aperture libraries - Apple Support

Photos on High Sierra is using similar technique on APFS formatted drives, even if there are no longer hard links in APFS.

Dec 14, 2017 7:35 AM in response to zeeecheee

select them in Photos and press command delete to move them to the recently deleted album where they will sit for 30 days or until you delete them sooner

But in general deleting photos is not going to be the solution to needing disk space on yoru Mac - you must always have a minimum of 10 GB and you should have more - 20% to 10% of the disk

LN

Dec 14, 2017 8:04 AM in response to zeeecheee

Then you are doing something incorrectly as it does work for deleting photos - what exactly are you doing? And why do you think it is not deleting photos?

Is this Photos library migrated form iPhoto? If it is then the photos need to be deleted both in Photos and in iPhoto - if you are not using iPhoto and have not used it for quiet a while (like three or more months) then you can archive the iPhoto library for any possible future needs and delete it from you Mac

LN

remove photos from photos on macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.