Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8+ NFC reader

Hello I have downloaded a NFC reader app and I could not read the card I want to scan, though I succeeded to do so with my galaxy note 8.

Does anyone one why thats happen and how can I enable this on my iPhone? it just does not react to the card when I put in on the back of the phone ..

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 9:21 AM

While Apple opened up NFC somewhat with iOS 11 to allow some NFC Core Service functions, it still only works between a specific app and device. So there are medical devices, for example, where the device manufacturer can now develop an App to read data via NFC from their device.

The only generic NFC reader apps in the App Store are ones that can read generic NDEF formatted NFC tags like URLs from NFC chips on product packaging. You cannot read credit or debit cards or service cards, etc with any of them, nor gift cards or any such things.

You can only read basic unsecured binary format message tags with the general NFC Reader apps in the App Store.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2017 9:21 AM in response to RifRon21

While Apple opened up NFC somewhat with iOS 11 to allow some NFC Core Service functions, it still only works between a specific app and device. So there are medical devices, for example, where the device manufacturer can now develop an App to read data via NFC from their device.

The only generic NFC reader apps in the App Store are ones that can read generic NDEF formatted NFC tags like URLs from NFC chips on product packaging. You cannot read credit or debit cards or service cards, etc with any of them, nor gift cards or any such things.

You can only read basic unsecured binary format message tags with the general NFC Reader apps in the App Store.

iPhone 8+ NFC reader

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.