Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro won't open links

Hi there. This has happened a few times where I am just using my Macbook Pro either during work or on my own time and I have found that if I click on any link on any application on my laptop, it would just open a new browser but then nothing happens. The link should direct me to the page but it just opens a new browser and then that's it...

For example, I save a link on Notes, or someone sends me a link through Skype or Messenger or Whatsapp and I click it, a new browser opens up and it just sits on that new browser and nothing happens.

I would like to know what is the cause of this as this is definitely not normal, and this happens with any application I have on my laptop that has the ability to send & save links and not one particular app.

My workaround to this is just to restart the laptop and then it works fine again, but since this has happened a couple of times in the past, I would rather find out what is the cause rather than constantly having this reminder in my head that this can happen again in the future and I would eventually have to restart my laptop.

My Specs:
Macbook Pro 13 inch Early 2015
Processor Intel Core i5 2.7ghz
macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

128gb SSD & 8gb RAM
My default browser is the latest version of Google Chrome.

If anyone knows the cause of this please do share!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 4:40 AM

5 replies

Dec 14, 2017 11:01 PM in response to ItalianAfro

Could be Safari, Plugins, a BUG because the whole OS is BUGGY and randomness is pervasive.

How long does it work and have you tried SAFE BOOT, holding SHIFT right after chime on reboot until you see it loading?

Do you have any third party things installled?

As you can see, I am not a Browser Sexist

User uploaded file

That said, Chrome has not really worked well with ANY mac I've had and I

Dec 15, 2017 3:10 PM in response to ItalianAfro

But would you suggest me to attempt this?

Yes. If the problems subside contact Google for support.

Google Chrome is not just a browser. Unlike generic browsers such as Brave, Firefox, or Opera installing Google Chrome pervasively modifies a system in a virus-like manner that can cause a number of seemingly unrelated problems.

Google exists to harvest your personal information and sell it. Its automatic updating service complicates correlating its installation to apparently unrelated problems. If you are required to use Google Chrome, you might as well buy a Chromebook.

Uninstall it according to Google's instructions, and observe the results. You can always install it again.

Macbook Pro won't open links

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.