Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I deleted all photos from iPhoto but it is still using 30 GB of Storage on my MacBookPro

I recently deleted all photos from iPhoto as I ran out of storage on my Mac. I deleted everything, including the things from the recently deleted folder, yet my Mac still says I have 30 GB worth of images and videos stored in the iPhoto app. I have seen other people having these problems, and they were told to just put the whole Photos application in the trash and empty. Well I did that and it didn't do anything, as there was nothing in there from the start. Yet my mac still says I have 30 GB worth of data stored there. How do I free up those 30 GB of data even though I've already deleted everything?

I currently have a very large video from QuickTime Player on my Mac which is using a lot of storage from the System itself. It is not saved onto my computer, as it was too big. I have a feeling the large unsaved file from QuickTime Player and the 30 GB of iPhoto storage are related, but I'm not sure. I would like to free up the 30 GB in iPhotos so I can save the large video onto my computer, as deleting the video is out of the question.

I take large videos with QuickTime Player often, so I do not have any iTunes movies or any large files, as I'm used to needing a lot of free space for these videos. Below shows my MacBook Storage and my Photos Library

Please help me

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 5:05 AM

7 replies

Dec 14, 2017 8:44 AM in response to mumu101210

Below shows my MacBook Storage and my Photos Library

Please help me

User uploaded file

Open the Photos.app by clicking the "Open Photos" button.

In Photos select all photos and videos at once and enter the key combination ⌘⌫ to move all photos to the Recently Deleted album.

Then open the Recently Deleted album and click "Delete All".

Quit Photos.

If this does not free any disk storage, you may still have an iPhoto Library somewhere. Photos and iPhoto are sharing the images that were in the iPhoto Library, when you migrated to iPhoto. so you have toremove the old iPhoto Library as well. You will probably find it in the Pictures folder.

Dec 14, 2017 8:10 AM in response to mumu101210

You do not have iPhoto - you have a new and totally different program names Photos

they were told to just put the whole Photos application in the trash and empty.

and this is incorrect - no one who knows anything about a Mac would ever suggest doing this as Photos is part of the OS and can not be deleted and if it could it would not delete a single photo as there are no photos in the application, they are all in the Photos library

If you have delete all photos in Photo and still have 30 GB of photos then they are somewhere else and nothing you do with Photos is going to help -

LN

Dec 14, 2017 11:37 AM in response to mumu101210

If the pictures are not in the Photos app, why does it say my Photos app is taking up 30 GB

It doesn't say Photos.app is taking up 30 gigs of space, it says Photos is...

A Photos installation is made up of two parts: the application and the Library. The application is the software, and lives in your Applications folder. The Library is where the data - i.e. your photographs - are stored, and that lives in the Pictures folder.

So you've now been told two ways to do what you want. Pick one.

I deleted all photos from iPhoto but it is still using 30 GB of Storage on my MacBookPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.