Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I add a subscriber to a Photos album - without the order of pictures being scrambled!

I want to share an album from Photos. But if I share it the order is scrambled, and i cannot re-order the pictures in the 'Shared' tab.

Can I not share an album as it is?

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 5:51 AM

14 replies

Dec 14, 2017 9:32 AM in response to Anthony Jackson3

Again

shared albums are a photo stream and are displayed in the order added and you can not change that and adding a subscriber does not change that

and as to system 10 - no idea what that is - the current software is High Sierra 10.13.2 - there is nothing I am aware of on a Mac named system 10

there is no 'little person in teh up-per right' to give an email address to!

Sure there is if you are up to date

User uploaded file

LN

Dec 14, 2017 11:12 AM in response to Anthony Jackson3

I guess I could add an extra photo to sereve as a 'Covere photo,

Do that.

Shared albums are really essentially streams and not albums. Just don't expect to be able to use them like albums. Previously, they were called "Shread Photo Streams", and then nobody expected to be able to arrange the photos or to select a cover photos. The shared albums are a communication channel, where you occasionally drop a photo in to send to someone, and the recipient adds a comment or another photo as a reply. The most recently added photo will show as the cover for easy access to the new photos.

if you want to add the photos one-by-one to ensure they are sorted correctly, invite the people to view the shred album only after you are done. The recipients will receive an alert, that new photos have been added, whenever you add photos, and it would be inconsiderate to cause hundreds of alerts about new pictures.

Dec 14, 2017 7:32 AM in response to Anthony Jackson3

if I share it the order is scrambled

you add a subscriber by opening the shared album and clicking on the little person in teh up-per right and adding the person's email

adding a subscriber does not scramble the order of the photos - it does not change the order at all - share albums are a photo stream and are displayed in the order added and you can not change that and adding a subscriber does not change that

LN

Dec 14, 2017 9:22 AM in response to LarryHN

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your efforts, but ...

I have an album (a series of 115 photos describing a walk through an unfamiliar house. It is a Photos album, created by me. Took a few hours to get them all into an order which worked, and I'm still occasionally finding improvements.

The only way I seem to be able to make it a *shared* album is to create a new shared album, then select all the photos in my original album, and ask for them all to be included in my 'Shared' album. But when the process is finished (takes a minute or two) I find the photos are in no logical order at all.

Of course with patience I could correct the order, with reference to my original album. Except I can't – this is not allowed.

Mind, even if there was any point in sharing the shared album there is no 'little person in teh up-per right' to give an email address to!

Eventually I gave up and exported the pictures to Flickr, which also scrambled the order, but at least there I am able to correct it. There went another couple of hours.

I'd love to be able to share albums that I make like this, but it seems that System 10 is not the way?

Thanks for trying!

Best regards, Tony.

Dec 14, 2017 9:41 AM in response to Anthony Jackson3

The only way I seem to be able to make it a *shared* album is to create a new shared album, then select all the photos in my original album, and ask for them all to be included in my 'Shared' album. But when the process is finished (takes a minute or two) I find the photos are in no logical order at all.

Create the shared album, empty.

Then open your sorted album with the photos you want to share and select each photo individually, and add it to the shared album, exactly in the order you want the photos to appear in the album. Do not share more than one photo at once, or the order of the photos may change in the shared album.

Dec 14, 2017 9:38 AM in response to LarryHN

Hi Larry,

I'm on System 10.11.6, or that is what it says 'About This Mac'

It sounds, if 10.13 is as you say, that this would be no help to those who would like to do what I would like to do. So, I've found a workaround, but I'm a bit disappointed to discover that what I presuemed would be easy is in fact impossible, at least on a Mac.

Oh wel...

Best regards, Tony.

Dec 14, 2017 9:50 AM in response to Anthony Jackson3

what I presuemed would be easy is in fact impossible, at least on a Mac.

if what you presumed to be easy was adding a subscriber to a shared album without scrambling the order (your original question) then it is easy as I described and illustrated

If what you presumed to be easy was changing the order of an existing shared album then it is impossible as, for the third time, photos in a share album (really a shared photo stream) are ordered in the order added to the shared album

shared albums are a photo stream and are displayed in the order added and you can not change that and adding a subscriber does not change that

In the future is it best to learn how to use software rather than presume that it works the way you would like it to - nothing in the world is every going to always work the way you presume it will nor is it reasonable to expect it to

And

I'm on System 10.11.6,

is not system 10 - it is system 10.11.6

LN

Dec 14, 2017 9:52 AM in response to léonie

Hi léonie,

I thought about that, but Photos doesn't allow two windows, so I've no way (as far as I can see) to open the album and select photos one at a time. In 'Add Photos or Videos' I can go through my entire photostream, but to select the 115 photos in question I'd have, I suppose to make a 115-line TextEdit file into which I copy some detail (the date/time?) from each photo in the album, and then go through my photostream hunting down the relevant pictures.

With Flickr I can have one browser window and one Photos window, and reorder the Flickr window to correspond to the Photos one. And critically, if I make a mistake I can correct it in a trice.

Unless there is soemthing I didn't spot?

Best regards, Tony.

Dec 14, 2017 9:55 AM in response to Anthony Jackson3

Then open your sorted album with the photos you want to share and select each photo individually, and add it to the shared album, exactly in the order you want the photos to appear in the album. Do not share more than one photo at once, or the order of the photos may change in the shared album.

just follow the directions - nothing about opening two windows - open the sorted album and drag the photos one by one to the empty shared album in the sidebar as directed

LN

Dec 14, 2017 10:20 AM in response to Anthony Jackson3

In Photos 3.0 on High Sierra the sidebar will always show, unless you are in Full Screen mode.

To open the sidebar in an earlier version of Photos choose "View > Show Sidebar" or enter the key combination option-command-S. ⌥⌘S

I am always keeping the sidebar open. It makes working with Photos much more convenient.

If you do not want to have the sidebar revealed, you can use the Share command to to add each selected photo individually to the shared album.

Dec 14, 2017 10:43 AM in response to Anthony Jackson3

Anthony Jackson3 wrote:

On my Mac I don't get a sidebar. Nor indeed any directions. So I'll stick with what works, unless any one knows a better way.

then you are not up to date and unless you tell us what you have we have no way of knowing - on older, out of date versions of Photos you show the side bar under the view menu ==> show sidebar

and the directions for doing this have been posted several times

LN

Dec 14, 2017 10:47 AM in response to léonie

Ha! Thanks léonie!

I'm embarrassed about not having spotted 'View Sidebar', but very pleased to have it pointed out! It is a great deal quicker than Flickr!

A very small but ... I can't seem to be able to choose a sensible picture for the 'Cover Photo' – the shared album has picked the last picture which was imported. I guess I could add an extra photo to sereve as a 'Covere photo, but that seems a bit clumsy?

I'm very grateful!

Best regards, Tony.

Dec 14, 2017 11:28 AM in response to léonie

Hi léonie,

From what I read my use is not a typical one. Good warnings about sending people 116 invitations! Weird that I can't just share an existing album (or perhaps just weird that Apple would use the same term for two such dissimilar uses and capabilities?)

I guess, following your advice it is quicker to share an album (in my sense of the word) than to upoad its contents to Flickr and edit it there. But given the pitfalls surrounding the iCloud methos I remain agnostic..

But thank you for your excellent advice, which has helped me achieve what I wanted, with the tools to hand!

Best regards, Tony

How can I add a subscriber to a Photos album - without the order of pictures being scrambled!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.