Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter doesn't work with Retina MacBook Pro

I found it impossible to add to the previous thread for this that was locked without an answer.
I have a fix for this. Please try it and let us know your results.

1. Pull down from the Apple menu and select System Preferences.
  2. In the third row select Network.
  3. In the left hand column select ALL services that have the words “Ethernet” or “Thunderbolt” in them and DELETE them by pressing the minus ➖ button at the bottom.
  4. With your ethernet cable and thunderbolt adapter plugged from the network to your computer, set up a new service by clicking the plus ➕ button at the bottom.
  5. From the possible services select ONLY Thunderbolt Ethernet. If your computer tries to add a “1” after Thunderbolt Ethernet, delete it. The name of this service should be Thunderbolt Ethernet.
  6. If you connect to networks automatically Choose DHCP on the right.(If you connect to networks with particular settings (like a school or business) Choose the appropriate option on the right and enter those settings)
  7. Click the Gear icon at the bottom of the left hand column and select Set Service Order…
  8. Drag the services around so Thunderbolt Ethernet is first and Wifi is second.
  9. Click OK.
  10. Click the Advanced button in the lower right.
  11. Click the DNS tab.
  12. Delete any pre installed DNS that might be entered by your service provider and add a much better DNS of your choice. (I prefer 9.9.9.9 See: https://www.quad9.net )
  13. Click OK in lower right corner.
  14. Click Apply in the lower right corner.

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 11:40 AM

There are no replies.

Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter doesn't work with Retina MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.