Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is SMARTReporter App having a problem with macos 10.13.2?

I keep getting a drive failure for my boot drive from the SmartReporter app. This has happed since updating to 10.13.2 OS. I have a backup on another internal drive and when booted gives the same drive failure notification but the original good drive tests OK... Is there something in the new OS file structure that could be causing the SMARTReporter App. to be giving false errors? Or am I really due for a drive failure in the near future?

Apple TV, Other OS, fourth gen.

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 7:49 AM

The changes made for 10.13 would not make any difference. SMART Utilities do not use the Mac File System, they just talk directly to the drive controller. You could have MS-DOS or BeOS on that drive for all it cares.

The process of installing MacOS re-write over 350,000 files. If a drive was starting to have problem, that could easily push it over the edge into failure.

False failure detection has never been a problem with SMART (the reverse has been). By the time SMART detects a problem, it is already a Serious and Real problem.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2017 7:49 AM in response to timothyfromnavarre

The changes made for 10.13 would not make any difference. SMART Utilities do not use the Mac File System, they just talk directly to the drive controller. You could have MS-DOS or BeOS on that drive for all it cares.

The process of installing MacOS re-write over 350,000 files. If a drive was starting to have problem, that could easily push it over the edge into failure.

False failure detection has never been a problem with SMART (the reverse has been). By the time SMART detects a problem, it is already a Serious and Real problem.

Dec 15, 2017 1:56 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

machack suggested I use EtreCheck to evaluate the drive in question. Same results as SMARTReporter. Just ordered a replacement drive. Amazing that both utilities reported the same one block error. SmartReporter also responded to my questions about the reported error and related that one block is not too serious but thing will only get worse over time. Thanks for the support to all that responded. 🙂

Dec 15, 2017 1:59 PM in response to timothyfromnavarre

machack suggested I use EtreCheck to evaluate the drive in question. Same results as SMARTReporter. Just ordered a replacement drive. Amazing that both utilities reported the same one block error. SmartReporter also responded to my questions about the reported error and related that one block is not too serious but things will only get worse over time. Thanks for the support to all that responded. 🙂

Is SMARTReporter App having a problem with macos 10.13.2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.