Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie for iPad only references movies

Not sure if everyone knows, but it certainly has caused me a lot of problems.

I used to download videos from my iPhone to my iMac and edit in iMovie. Since acquiring a new iPhone with more memory I uploaded to Photos, so far so good.

BUT when I opened iMovie and loaded in the videos as it said to ”create a movie”, thought that’s what it meant, so I deleted the videos on my iPhone, after all, who needs lots of unedited videos on their iPhone. Well obviously Apple thinks we do, because after I did that and returned to iMovie a few days later I no longer had the movies it said it had created!!

And yes I had deleted the movies permanently.

Obviously the movies were only referenced, so how long do I need to keep these on my iPhone - day after day of unedited video taking up space.

just another moan, but can no one up date these choices of products. Where is iPad Pro ios11?

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 7:42 AM

An unfortunate way to learn, but the referencing is exactly as intended. You could, for example, create ten different projects all of which refer to the same source video file, and there will only ever be one copy of the file on your device. You need to keep the original files (video, audio, and images) until you decide that you're happy having only an exported final version which you've copied off to some other device, sent by email, or whatever, and are ready to delete the project. Deleting any of the referenced objects ahead of time will break it.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2017 7:42 AM in response to Tony Rees

An unfortunate way to learn, but the referencing is exactly as intended. You could, for example, create ten different projects all of which refer to the same source video file, and there will only ever be one copy of the file on your device. You need to keep the original files (video, audio, and images) until you decide that you're happy having only an exported final version which you've copied off to some other device, sent by email, or whatever, and are ready to delete the project. Deleting any of the referenced objects ahead of time will break it.

tt2

iMovie for iPad only references movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.