Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will restoring an old iPad with an image from a new iPad cause old apps to auto-update?

Hard to explain what I mean in the title.

I'm regretting my decision to upgrade Keynote to the latest version (3.3.1) on my newest iPad (the one that came out this year - I guess that would be called an iPad Air 3?). I'm a teacher and have already encountered too many problems and instabilities to trust going into a classroom with this device.

I have an older iPad (Air 1) that still has Keynote version 2.6.2, which is comfortable and bug-free. See the difference:

Keynote 2.6.2:

User uploaded file

Keynote 3.3.1:

User uploaded file

You can decide for yourself which interface is more useful and appealing, but for me the clear winner is the older version.

What I want to do is use my Air 1 as my teaching iPad, instead of the new iPad that I am currently using. To accomplish this, I'll make a backup of the current (new) iPad and use that backup to restore the old iPad (Air 1).

If I do that, will the old iPad's Keynote version be automatically updated to 3.3.1, or will it stay at the current version 2.6.2? In other words, does backing-up the new iPad also backup the current app version and then force that new version onto old hardware?

If it's going to update (without even asking me), then forget it. I'll have to switch the apps and data and all the other stuff between the two iPads manually to avoid that. Yes, Keynote 3.3.1 is just that bad (at least for me).

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 11.0.2, null

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 5:55 AM

5 replies

Dec 14, 2017 6:17 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks anyway. I have an even older iPad (the last one to still have the 40 pin charging port) that I might use as a guinea pig to see what happens. I'll report back on what I find.

By the way, I notice that next to my name, level and points it says "Apple TV" with a thin gray broken underline. Next to yours it says "iPad" with a similar line, but it's blue and thin on one of your posts and appears to be thicker/bold in another. My question has nothing to do with Apple TV. Whatever does it mean?

Will restoring an old iPad with an image from a new iPad cause old apps to auto-update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.