Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Payment methods

Can somebody other than the family organizer update your payment method?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 7:35 AM

1 reply

Dec 14, 2017 8:01 PM in response to Chad3taz

Hey there, Chad3taz!

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. After reading your post, I see that you have some questions about how billing works with Family Sharing. Specifically, if someone other than the organizer can update the payment method. I'd be happy to provide you with some information!

The article Family purchases and payments - Apple Support provides details on how purchases and payments work in Family Sharing. Some important information I'd like to call out for you is that the organizer must keep a credit card on file at all times while they are the Family Sharing organizer. Additionally, all purchases made by each family member are billed to the card on the organizer's Apple ID account. Only the organizer can change that payment method.

If a family member would like to make a purchase without using the organizer's card, they can purchase and redeem an iTunes Store gift card. iTunes Store gift credit is applied to the Apple ID it's redeemed with only, and its balance will automatically be used before the organizer's card is charged. The "About Family Sharing purchases" section of How iTunes Store purchases are billed - Apple Support reviews this information in more detail.

Cheers!

Payment methods

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.