Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: how to unlink two pages

In a long pages document two pages behave as if they are one. And I cannot delete the blank second of the pair.

any ideas welcomed!

Thanks

Peter Green

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on

Dec 14, 2017 7:27 AM in response to peter milton keynes In response to peter milton keynes

Hi Peter,

Some ideas.

1. Menu > View > Show Invisibles

Any unnecessary returns, spaces, tabs?

2. In any version of Pages, you can have Section breaks.

Menu > View > Show Page Thumbnails

User uploaded file

Pages with a continuous yellow border in Thumbnails belong to the same Section ("Chapter")

User uploaded file

In the body of your document, insert a Section Break to separate them, then delete the unwanted page.

Please reply with questions for more help.

Regards,

Ian.

Dec 14, 2017 7:27 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 14, 2017 2:41 PM in response to Yellowbox In response to Yellowbox

Thank you so much for trying to solve this riddle.

I am with you down to the sentence

"In the body of your document, insert a Section Break to separate them, then delete the unwanted page."

So

I put the pointer between two words or paragraphs in a text box.

But the Insert / Section Break is greyed.

No matter where I put the pointer - it is greyed.

So I tried placing the pointer at various points on the pink line in Show Invisibles. Insert / Section Break is black. But no luck.

I would be happy to have each page in its own section or all the pages in one section.

Or be able to just add a page, which does not seem to happen automatically and there is no insert / page option.

PS I cannot afford InDesign which I have used since 1992 in its Pagemaker incarnation. I still use an old version but it is not supported after 10.8.5!

Many thanks

Peter Green

Dec 14, 2017 2:41 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 14, 2017 2:51 PM in response to peter milton keynes In response to peter milton keynes

Section Breaks don't apply inside Textboxes. That wouldn't make any sense.

They divide up the the text in the main text body of Word Processing documents into Chapters. Pages inside Sections stick together to prevent the problem you got in Pagemaker of users shuffling pages until the text was all tied up in impossible to untangle knots.

The text body is the area inside the page margins of a Word Processing document.

Indesign was never Pagemaker, thank goodness! It was an entirely new App to challenge Quark Xpress.

What old version btw? I still run Indesign CS6 in Sierra.

I suspect what you have done is try to use Pages like Pagemaker and you have put everything into Textboxes. Also your blank 2nd page exists because you have an object on the previous page with Textwrap pushing over an invisible as Ian pointed out.

Peter

Dec 14, 2017 2:51 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: peter milton keynes

Question: how to unlink two pages