Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dvd or cd not showing in finder on iMac using High Sierra

So I upgraded and now when I load a photo dvd or music cd into my internal super drive it does not show up in the finder and after a short time it will eject itself. I have upgraded to High Sierra and do not know if that is a connection or coincidence.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 7:46 AM

10 replies

Jan 17, 2018 10:42 AM in response to BuyerBWare

I know that externals never show up in Finder (haven't had an internal for years, but I believe the behavior is the same) - the only thing you will see in Finder is the CD or DVD after you insert it (and only if you have Finder Preferences set to show them in Finder).

User uploaded file

You can get a free diagnosis re. your internal drive at an AASP or Apple store.

Dec 14, 2017 9:58 AM in response to Hedelman4

...and after a short time it will eject itself.

That suggests a failing drive but could also simply be one that is dirty. Slot-loading drives can get very dirty, enough so that the lenses fail to read the disk. The first thing to do is get a drive cleaning disk. I prefer the "dry" kind. I do not like liquid inside my computers. Many slot-loading drives already pronounced "totally dead" by Apple techs have been brought back to life by cleaning. It takes only minutes.

The disks are typically US$5-15 and can be found and most home electronic stores, computer shops, and big office supply outlets that sell computer accessories.

Dec 15, 2017 8:09 PM in response to Hedelman4

Unfortunately, those drives have always been quite unreliable (think super slim and vertical where any media can move 1/100th of an inch); I've had to have two of them replaced under Applecare. If I may suggest: if it is the drive, replace it with an external tray loading drive - I've been using one for several years now and it'll read anything and just works. I got mine at OWC:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/optical-drives/

dvd or cd not showing in finder on iMac using High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.