Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari passwords and migration to new mac

After setting my account in a new iMac (High Sierra) with Migration Assistant, I have found that some, but not all, passwords stored in Safari have been moved ok. I thought that Safari data are stored in keychain and while I can find my keychain data (passwords, certificates, notes and even ssh keys) in the new mac, some Safari passwords are missing. I wonder where are actually stored and how can be selected and exported either to a keychain or at least to a text file. Migrating again the account is not an option. I don't use iCloud for password and I don't want to either...

Thanks for your help

F.J. Modrego

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 7:50 AM

Yes, I knew about that. I used Migration Assistant and unfortunately it only copied some of the Safari passwords and some have left behind. On the other hand there is no way to select either in Safari or in Keychain those specific passwords used by Safari and transferrin a copy of the keychain will mean that all the passwords already transferred will be duplicated...

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 7:50 AM in response to tygb

Yes, I knew about that. I used Migration Assistant and unfortunately it only copied some of the Safari passwords and some have left behind. On the other hand there is no way to select either in Safari or in Keychain those specific passwords used by Safari and transferrin a copy of the keychain will mean that all the passwords already transferred will be duplicated...

Dec 15, 2017 8:29 AM in response to fjmodrego

Both Macs have different preferences , so it is not possible to transfer all passwords through migration assistant .

These are the methods to transfer keychain items , and what migration is meant for an article macOS Sierra: Transfer your info from a computer or storage device

Even a user can not restore passwords through time machine and physically read it as they are always encrypted for security reason .

When a Mac user enter in user library > click on keychain and it subfolders the passwords are stored in alfa numeric folder , and two other folders and they are also locked and secured .

Safari passwords and migration to new mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.