Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power supply not providing enough power for a Macbook Pro 15' Retina

Hi there,

I am discovering a new thing.

When using my macbook Pro 15' Retina Mid 2015 (Processor i7 2,2 GHz 16Gb RAM 256Gb SSD Drive, Iris Pro 1536Mb on macOS High Sierra 10.13.2) quite intensively the power supply does not provide enough and the battery is being used.

For example I start with the battery fully charged and with the original power supply plugged in at all time.

I start encoding videos. I can see the battery percentage decreasing progressively to 90% after 1h of encoding...

Is that Normal?

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 8:05 AM

4 replies

Dec 14, 2017 9:35 AM in response to Mikokola1

Under extreme usage, your Mac may continue to run at full speed by borrowing a little power from your battery, as well as using everything available from the correct-sized power adapter.

The alternative is it would slow down, just to leave the battery fully charged.

When the intensity of the activity diminishes, the battery will be recharged if it is starting to get a bit low. All of this is being managed for you automatically, and you do not have to spend a moment thinking about it.

You have purchased such a great product that its just does what you ask, and does not worry about borrowing from the plentiful power available in the fully-charged battery.

Dec 15, 2017 10:42 AM in response to CT

That's right.

I bought it used and did not check the powersupply. Since the original owner had several macs maybe he picked the wrong power supply.

Please note that for most usage the 60W that I have (which is not the original one sold with the MBP 15 Retina 2015) is perfectly suitable even under intense usage. It is only during extremely intense usage that the power is not enough.

Thanks for your reply

Power supply not providing enough power for a Macbook Pro 15' Retina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.