Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I do not have a single IOS piece of equipment. Is there anyway to go back to just an iTune music player on my iMac Desktop?

I do not have or intend to have any IOS equipment. Is there anyway to go back to a simple iTunes that just plays my music on my iMac? I detest all these blank empty icons taking up all my screen .

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), iOS 11.2.1

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 10:39 AM

10 replies

Dec 15, 2017 9:48 AM in response to olblucat

You mean the blank album cover art ?

User uploaded file

Those are not iOS icons, they are just placeholders for the cover art. If you don't have cover art, and are in album view, you'll get that. They have nothing to do with iOS.

Any other media player that displays albums and their cover art will have similar placeholder icons if the album has no associated cover art. What else would you expect?

You can view your music as a list with no album covers if you select songs, instead of albums in the left sidebar.

Dec 14, 2017 4:24 PM in response to olblucat

While I've an Mac OS X 10.9.5 and 10.11.6, both can have their iTunes player

reduced to simply Internet Radio (no Apple Music, or subscription) or import

music from a optical drive source (external or where available, internal.)

Not sure where you see major crowding of empty or listless windows. Due to

the cost of bandwidth here, I seldom play internet Radio (free in player.)

Changes in the new iTunes - Apple Support

I still listen to FM radio, or where cable/satellite channels have music only;

without commercials nor video. That, wired to powered speakers direct from

the cable box audio output, saves the video hardware needlessly turned on.

Away from the city, I often have no urban noise at all; and need no iOS device.

My older PPC G4 Macs running 10.4.11 and 10.5.8, both have iTunes players

(available still at Apple Support.) Both can utilze hundreds of free internet radio

channels of all kinds of music and some stations have spoken content too.

In any event...

Good luck & happy trails! 🙂

Dec 14, 2017 4:09 PM in response to olblucat

You can probably get rid of some of them through preferences settings. I know in my version of iTunes I an disable the iTunes Store.

If you do not use the iTunes Store and do not sync to Apple devices then you can run an older version of iTunes. I use iTunes 7.5 with OSX 10.9.5.

The only versions of iTunes that do not have anything to do with syncing or iTunes Store are really, really early ones that would probably bomb on any newer computer. I'm talking iTunes 2 or something like that.

Of course you can also just not run iTunes. There's applications such as Tangerine, but nothing is really an iTunes-minus-its extras. They all have their own feel and behavior.

I do not have a single IOS piece of equipment. Is there anyway to go back to just an iTune music player on my iMac Desktop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.