Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CPU usage at 90 percent...sometimes.

I have two Macbook Pros. Both are model A1286.

The older one is a 2.4 GHz Core i5 machine with 4 GB RAM. Mid or late 2010.

The newer one is a 2.2 GHz Core i7 machine with 8 GB RAM. Late 2011.

Both have fresh installs of High Sierra, installed just two days ago, 10.13.2

The older one HAS NO ISSUES. It has a few music related apps installed on it and is trouble free.

The newer one has had nothing installed on it beyond the OS, plus Firefox. Firefox is also in the older unit. (Same version.)

The problem that I am encountering only affects the NEWER machine.

There are times when CPU load graph jumps to within a few points of 90 percent and I'm not even using Firefox at the time. Nor am I doing anything that would explain why CPU usage goes that high.

I may have NO apps opened when this occurs. The machine is quite sluggish in this state.

I've opened up the activity monitor to see what's going on.

When this happens, the kernel process shows activity up to around 800 or so? How can it be using 800 percent?

If at this point I close the lid and wait several seconds then open the computer back up, the CPU load graph now shows that load is normal, at or below 10 percent or so.

Second scenario: Open Firefox, go to YouTube, pick a video and start to play it. Activity monitor is open to watch what happens.

At some random point, CPU usage will again spike to around 90 percent and stay there. Kernel Task shows around 700 to 800 percent.

The process Firefox CP Web Content can sometimes exceed 100 percent but not for very long and that by itself does not cause CPU loading to spike.

If not using Firefox, and using Safari instead and viewing a youtube video from it, there is also a chance that Kernel Task will go ballistic.

What this is showing to me is that whatever is causing the kernel task to skyrocket and cause a 90 percent CPU load, it's not intrinsically linked to Firefox, or to Safari. It also happened even before I installed Firefox but I didn't at the time use the activity monitor to see why my mouse cursor was acting sluggish.

Again, the older 2.4 GHz i5 machine never demonstrates this problem.

The newer one has passed all diagnostics but the problem comes and goes.

There is only ONE thing that's "off" about the machine showing the problem, and that it is that it has a low cost aftermarket battery in it which diagnostics doesn't see. Diagnostics shows no battery. But the computer does recognize the battery and shows its charge state.

I DOUBT that a cheap battery can cause Kernel Task to randomly jump into the 800 percent range and 90 percent CPU loading.

Got any ideas?

Remember: When this CPU loading issue happens, I can ALWAYS stop it by closing the display/lid assembly, waiting a few seconds, and re-opening it and resuming operation. It always drops CPU load back to normal when I do that. I think that's critical information but I don't know exactly what is going on.

MacBook Pro, iOS 11.2.1, 2.2 GHz Core i7 8 GB RAM

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 9:28 AM

8 replies

Dec 14, 2017 12:43 PM in response to Daytrader937

I DOUBT that a cheap battery can cause Kernel Task to randomly jump into the 800 percent range and 90 percent CPU loading.

It certainly can and frequently does. In fact a runaway kernel_task is usually caused by hardware. Even without knowing any other details about your Mac, I am willing to say I'm nearly certain that's what's wrong with it.

Please readIf kernel_task is using a large percentage of your Mac CPU - Apple Support as well as the links within it.

A runaway kernel_task can be due to a number of factors, such as:

• a failed or disconnected temperature sensor
  • cooling system inefficiency (an inoperative exhaust fan on Macs so equipped, possibly clogged with dust, including the heat sink)
  • a worn out, missing, or non-Apple (user-installed) battery on portable Macs
  • similar hardware-specific causes including internal hardware additions or modifications, external USB and other connected devices, or the driver software required to use them.

If you can find no other explanation for its behavior, an SMC Reset is justified: Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support.

You may have no alternative than to purchase an aftermarket battery for the older one, but Apple may still be able to replace a battery for a Late 2011 model MBP. Contact them and don't wait, because once a Mac becomes "vintage" its service options become limited and expensive.

Beware that Apple may refuse to service a Mac with a user-installed battery, for any price.

Dec 14, 2017 4:46 PM in response to Daytrader937

I think that battery could cause the issue.

Apple doc SMC reset

How to know if you need to reset the SMC

These symptoms might mean that an SMC reset is necessary:

• Your computer's fans run at high speed, even though it isn't under heavy usage and is properly ventilated.
  • The keyboard backlight behaves incorrectly.
  • The status indicator light (SIL), if present, behaves incorrectly.
  • Battery indicator lights, if present, behave incorrectly on Mac notebooks with a non-removable battery.
  • The display backlight doesn't respond correctly to ambient light changes.
  • Your Mac doesn't respond when you press the power button.
  • Your Mac notebook doesn't respond properly when you close or open the lid.
  • Your Mac sleeps or shuts down unexpectedly.
  • The battery doesn't charge properly.
  • The MagSafe power adapter LED, if present, doesn't indicate the correct activity.
  • Your Mac performs unusually slowly, even though its CPU isn't under an abnormally heavy load.
  • A computer that supports target display mode doesn't switch into or out of target display mode as expected, or it switches into or out of target display mode at unexpected times.
  • The illumination around the I/O ports on a Mac Pro (Late 2013) doesn't turn on when you move the computer.

Dec 14, 2017 4:48 PM in response to Daytrader937

Daytrader937 wrote:

I think both Macbooks use the same battery so I'll swap the batteries between them.

If the problem follows the cheaper battery then that's a definitive answer.

If not, then I've ruled out the battery.

This won't apply if the batteries are not plug compatible.

Possibly, possibly not. One of the Hallmarks of 3rd party batteries is inconsistency.

Dec 15, 2017 3:32 PM in response to Daytrader937

Update: I bought a premium, local Apple dealer recommended battery from his stock, and I'm kind of surprised but that seems to have fixed the problem.

Not only has the CPU usage NOT jumped to 90 percent over the last few hours, but total average CPU usage has actually dropped from about 12 percent on the cheap battery to only about 5 percent on the new battery, under the same conditions with the same apps running and the same videos loaded.

It made a lot more difference than I would have imagined.

I say it's fixed.

The brand of the replacement battery that works is Ansanor. I'd recommend this product.

CPU usage at 90 percent...sometimes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.