Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X battery drained 100% overnight

Hi All,

My iPhone X drained 100% battery during the night today. I woke up with a died phone. I've been using iPhone X for about one month and this is the first time I saw this issue (even my previous iPhones never had this kind of problem).

My model is AT&T, 256G. iOS is 11.1.2. I did charge it before I went to bed last night as usual (to ~96%). Before this, I upgraded a few apps. Nothing unusual happened.

I did check the battery usage after booting up. The weird thing is the 24h usage showed that the most used app was Home & Lock Screen (over 50% under 30 min on screen, don't remember the exact numbers). The Last 7 days list has the Camera on the top of the list (31%), which also is weird because I don't use the Camera a lot. Home & Lock Screen is the third with 13%.

I have my doubts about the battery usage lists, but if I assume that they are accurate, does it mean the screen (faceId sensors?) probably was on the whole night (or a few hours to drain the battery completely)? Would it be a system issue or hardware issue?

I'm wondering if anyone happened to have the similar issue. I hope it's just bad luck that it doesn't happen again.

iPhone X, iOS 11.2.1, null

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2017 6:16 AM

I have the same problem. My iphone X was at 100% last night and I shut all apps off. This morning it was at 1%. I turned off auto-brightness and rebooted the phone. So far that seems to have helped my phone from draining. I have been steady at the same percentage from this morning (roughly 3 hours) so far without any percentage drop. You might want to try that and see what happens. It kind of ***** that you cannot use auto brightness on iphone X without it killing your battery...

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2017 6:16 AM in response to hitigon

I have the same problem. My iphone X was at 100% last night and I shut all apps off. This morning it was at 1%. I turned off auto-brightness and rebooted the phone. So far that seems to have helped my phone from draining. I have been steady at the same percentage from this morning (roughly 3 hours) so far without any percentage drop. You might want to try that and see what happens. It kind of ***** that you cannot use auto brightness on iphone X without it killing your battery...

Dec 28, 2017 8:12 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Why would I have to charge my iPhone X overnight if it is at 100%? There is no need to just have it plugged in. My iPhone 6 would only drop 3% overnight while I am sleeping not 99%. Standby on the iPhone X should be days not hours. The talk time alone is supposed to be 21 hours. So I do not see the point of plugging in my iPhone when I go to bed for 7 hours and my phone starts at 100%. I would expect to wake up to minimum 90% left and more like 95+% left. I can live with that, but to wake up at 1%...

I suspected my phone draining my battery for the past couple days so I made sure to close all apps. Normally I did leave my apps suspended but this just started happening after I updated to 11.2.1. Since turning off that auto-brightness and rebooting, my phone seems to be holding the charge. Maybe it just needed to be rebooted... I will see what happens tonight when I have my phone unplugged.

Dec 28, 2017 6:24 AM in response to MarkP307

I have auto-brightness turned on for my iPhone X and have not experienced any problems. One question I would ask is why do you not charge your phone overnight? When the iPhone is connected to power, wi-fi, and locked, it will automatically backup to iCloud, if configured that way. It does not make sense to leave the phone unplugged overnight and wake up to a partially charged phone.

I suggest that something was caught trying to process and didn't finish when you attempted to close apps. When you say you shut off apps, did you just close them by swiping upwards, or did you force closed these apps by going to multi-tasking and tapping on the ➖? Force closing apps is also not necessary, as leaving them in suspension is better for battery life than force closing them, since doing that requires all the power and processor to reload the entire app, rather than just starting it from suspension.

Dec 28, 2017 10:09 AM in response to MarkP307

I explained why you should have the device plugged in overnight. It is your choice how you wish to handle your phone if you disagree with my assessment, but it isn't necessary to ask why.

Again, it was probably something to do with a process being stuck, not necessarily auto-brightness. I have that turned on and do not see any issues there. You can take a look at Settings>Battery and find out what is using the highest percentage of your battery usage.

Jan 5, 2018 11:37 AM in response to Alexisesp

I actually was able to resolve my issue by force closing all my apps and restarting my phone. On the iPhone X in case you haven’t had to do this yet, you push the volume up, push the volume down, then hold the screen lock button until you see the Apple logo. My phone battery has been working properly every since. No more battery draining overnight!

I hope this helps solve your issue as well.

Mar 12, 2018 12:08 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

First of all you having auto-brightness enabled won't automatically replicate the bug by itself. Logically speaking, millions of users have auto-brightness enabled and this is an issue that plagues thousands of Apple X owners, not everyone who has auto-brightness enabled. It's a combination of likely software or even hardware issues. In troubleshooting, it's an essential step to list the exact conditions and remedies attempted, and his mentioning that disabling auto-brightness an implication that it's "causing" the malfunction, but that it is possibly contributing to it, along with other factors.

Second it's never a good idea to plug in your phone for a charge when it's 100%. At the very base level it's bad for the environment to waste electricity, and although there are safeguards it's always possible to damage your any lithium-ion battery at 100 and 0%, shortening battery life. Especially if the battery is malfunctioning, has issues with charging, or has software issues reporting battery life and a half dozen other possibly related issues with any battery issue like this.

Third connecting to wi-fi nor iCloud backup is dependent on the battery being charged or the power cable plugged in. It is good that you try to have a routine for best practices with even simple things like charging your iphone but it is not necessary to be (over)charging a 100% iphone in order to have it back up or connected to wi-fi.

So Chris those are some answers to the questions you had, unrelated to the thread. As for the thread I had this issue with battery drain happen twice this past week. My original thought was that the screen lock bug (where the iphone does not engage screen lock after you change certain settings, including the setting for dead interval before lock in certain conditions) had left my phone's screen on over the weekend when I wasn't using/checking that phone but now that I see this thread I wonder....

Hard reset plus a sleep/wake seems to have at least for the moment fixed the screen lock failure and I don't notice any undue battery drain atm, will keep monitoring. FWIW I had auto-brightness up, all apps closed when the battery died

Mar 13, 2018 9:58 AM in response to NBguy

First off, thank you for taking the time to prepare this response to me, however I'm not experiencing any problems with my device, so I'm not sure why you were addressing that to me.

Plugging in your device while at 100% will not waste electricity, as the charging circuit in the iPhone will not use anything if the battery is charged. Once the battery has reached 100%, the charging circuit turns off, and will not turn on again until needed. It is not going to over-charge, as the circuity is designed to handle that.

The ability for the iPhone to automatically run an iCloud backup is dependent on the device being connected to wi-fi, and connected to power. While you have the ability to create a backup while not on wi-fi, the only way the automatic backup will run is while on wi-fi and connected to power. Those are the requirements. I never said that it had to be at 100% to backup.

I've never heard of a screen lock bug, nor do I know what you are referring to when you say "the setting for dead interval before lock in certain conditions". I have no idea what you mean here.

Mar 15, 2018 2:25 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hey Chris, I'm not really responding to "you" I am correcting/responding to some things posting in the thread. Everyone else is here to fix the battery bug, not "talk about Chris" so I hope you didn't take anything written personally, or to discuss which issues you personally have or do not have with your phone (unless you also have the issues detailed here as everyone else has). I'm sure anything like that is the furthest thing from anyone's mind.

As far as the battery, yes lithium-ion batteries do have a shut off circuit and yes they can waste electricity if plugged in due to trickle charging. A bunch of "best practices" were listed so I made it a point to emphasize that it's NOT a good practice ever to plug in a phone to charge if you know it's fully charged.

In theory a lithium-ion battery should never overcharge, it should not get drained quickly after engaging the autoshutoff, it should not typically get warm when charging. But in the real world these things all can happen. As I specifically stated, this is ESPECIALLY important when the battery itself is experiencing issues. If the battery is draining quickly or reporting the wrong charge, or having issues holding a charge these are all situations where you must assume that any of the above are possible. I could be a hardware issue or it could be a software issue, in which case overcharging could potentially even more dangerous.

Even in normal usage overcharging a battery or leaving it plugged in at 100% have in thousands of cases resulted in the battery overheating or even becoming dangerously hot. At minimum such issues with the battery can reduce battery life. Considering what this thread is about... battery issues... and what you posted about "best practices" do NOT plug in your battery when it's fully charged overnight just in some Thoreauian pursuit of "foolish consistency" there is 0 benefit and some (small) downside.

The screen lock bug is a known but unsolved issue, much like this one where the autolock feature of the iphone X or 8/8+ does not engage as designed. Meaning the phone stays on after the dead interval assigned to the phone. So if your phone is supposed to lock and engage sleep after 30 seconds (1 minute w/e) it does not dim and then lock at all. So the phone remains on until manually locked. Again you're a valuable contributor with active engagement on the forum but don't feel compelled to respond every time you yourself have not had an issue. Apple has sold over 1.2 billion phones, and most issues only affect a small percentage of users. It's ok to not have had an issue.

again everything in this post was first and foremost addressed to ALL users who might have experienced any of these issues and to clear up some bad information that might hard users.

Chris, thanks for your work on this forum. I am sure it has been helpful!

Mar 15, 2018 2:52 PM in response to NBguy

I just realized I should clarify in case Chris or any of the other users didn't understand what "trickle charge" means or what implications it could have on battery life since even Apple workers are not briefed in-depth and generally told that their phones cannot be "overcharged."

In actuality there's a lot of very real issues related to what a layman might refer to as "overcharge." In terms of 100% phone plugged in overnight, simply put it's not going to stay at 100% the entire time. The charger maintains a trickle charge to keep it topped off as it gets under 100%, and the entire time constantly monitors the charge. As it clicks on to top off the charge it "bounces" the phone between depleted (a tiny amount) and full. This generates heat, with heat being the killer of batteries, you can expect that even in normal use this continuous higher ambient temperature over thousands of hours a year as you sleep will degrade to whatever degree the life of your battery.

Now reality *every* time you charge your phone, especially to full charge, you are "reducing" its battery life a minuscule amount. In fact battery manufactures figure into the projected average battery life such issues. But as any iphoner knows, battery life is not consistent neither in manufacturing nor in usage. Most people want the most out of their phone not just the average or minimum. If you're setting "best practices" and satisfied enough to proselytize a method you got to know what is going on at "my 100% charged phone" is actually a constant "bounce" between full charge and *charging* when your phone has a set amount of charge cycles to begin with. The saddest part is that charging to 100% is unnecessary to begin with. As Lithium-ion unlike lead acid and other technology does not need to be "topped off" or have a memory effect. Sad face

Mar 24, 2018 4:47 AM in response to hitigon

I just experienced the same problem. My new iPhone X battery was at 100% last night, only to wake up this morning with a dead phone. I just put it on the charge and will see what the overnight power usage was once its charged.

To my knowledge, the screen lock was on and I have not changed any settings recently other than configuring the home button, trying it, and turning off accessibility in order not to keep the home button on the screen. While the home button was on the screen, I pressed it and the start button simultaneously to clear the cash (as indicated in another blog). Note that I received the iPhone on 9 March 2018.

I intend to go to the Apple Store today to get Apple’s take on this and would appreciate any additional input.

I never had this kind of problem with my iPhone 6!

Now I feel that my new iPhone X is not reliable, especially that this kind of thing takes place overnight.

iPhone X battery drained 100% overnight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.