Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra giving me tired eyes

I purchased a 27” iMac running on Sierra half a year ago because I am a professional photographer. Plus, I work a lot in Photoshop. I was very happy about my decision to buy this Mac. Until, within half a year I was “asked” to move up to High Sierra. When owning a very young iMac, you suppose nothing is wrong with “just” upgrading to High Sierra. Well, since HS my finder drives me crazy. Images (I work with hi-res material and tif documents) are flickering in the finder. It looks like the finder has a hard time focussing on the resolution, jumping up and down from high to very high resolution (the settings for this iMac). Not only does it make you crazy and give you headaches looking at it (particularly when you are processing hundreds of images), it also seems to be pretty bad for the system. The finder sometimes just quits. When that happens it has lost my latest changes in document names. What to do?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13), Built in 2017

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 12:28 PM

That's how I have always thought of it.

When you contact Apple, just be prepared for a lot mundane and ultimately fruitless instructions at first. Fully 50% of their Support calls are resolved by answers like "you need to plug it in and turn it on" so you have to jump that hurdle first. Eventually you will get the attention of someone who will collect some data from your Mac and forward it to Engineering, after which your concern will appear to disappear into a black hole for a long time. The reason I know is that I had a very similar complaint some months or years ago: nonspecific visual fatigue after using the Mac for a while. I couldn't even explain it as well as you did. It was eventually addressed in an update, after which Support contacted me to ask if the change improved things. It did. No more tired eyes.

So... be patient.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 12:28 PM in response to Sierdo

That's how I have always thought of it.

When you contact Apple, just be prepared for a lot mundane and ultimately fruitless instructions at first. Fully 50% of their Support calls are resolved by answers like "you need to plug it in and turn it on" so you have to jump that hurdle first. Eventually you will get the attention of someone who will collect some data from your Mac and forward it to Engineering, after which your concern will appear to disappear into a black hole for a long time. The reason I know is that I had a very similar complaint some months or years ago: nonspecific visual fatigue after using the Mac for a while. I couldn't even explain it as well as you did. It was eventually addressed in an update, after which Support contacted me to ask if the change improved things. It did. No more tired eyes.

So... be patient.

Dec 14, 2017 10:52 AM in response to Sierdo

Image rendering is so subjective it's impossible to say what might be wrong.

Finder should not quit though. Please determine if it also quits unexpectedly in "Safe Mode": Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support. Using a Mac in that mode is so visually objectionable that you are unlikely to find it comfortable to use for any period of time, but determining if Finder quits or not may help advance troubleshooting.

This is something you should definitely contact Apple about: Contact Support. There are many possible remedies including calibrating the iMac's built-in monitor. Read Color Preferences - Apple Support for one example. Others may be found in Accessibility Display preferences - Apple Support.

Dec 14, 2017 11:44 AM in response to macjack

It seems to happen also in any other user account. The images are hi-res, but the "infamous" resolution of a 27" iMac Retina display seems to badly interact with the DPi's of images shot on a professional Canon camera. To describe the effect when viewing an image in the finder: first there's the correct image - then light areas in the image seem to inverse to darker parts and get "flattened" - after that the image is back but with another resolution. This takes place in a fraction of a second and that makes it flicker and being rather tiring.

Dec 15, 2017 3:04 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks! I will certainly do that. I just noticed that also PDF's of b/w documents created in Photoshop have the same "problem". When clicking on the document name in the finder, first a low res version pops up and immediately after that the hi-res appears. It looks more or less like the auto focus on a photo camera, trying to get things sharp.

High Sierra giving me tired eyes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.