Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to uninstall an update

Can I uninstall an update made 12/14/17 on my iMac, X Yosemite 10.10.5? It has locked my Word doc.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 10:49 AM

8 replies

Dec 14, 2017 10:55 AM in response to adkbooklady75

You cannot uninstall an update or upgrade. You need to start by backing up your files, erasing the drive, then reinstalling macOS. Unless you have a copy of the Yosemite installer you cannot reinstall it. You can only download a copy if you have downloaded it from the App Store in the past. In this case, you should find it listed on the Purchases page of the App Store app on your computer.

Install Lion Through Yosemite from Scratch

Be sure you backup your files.

1. Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears. Wait for the Utility Menu to appear.
  2. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  3. After Disk Utility loads select the volume (this is the indented entry, usually Macintosh HD) from the side list. Click on the Erase tab in Disk Utility's main window.
  4. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Apply button
  5. When the process has completed quit Disk Utility, and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. SelectReinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

This will install the version of OS X you had installed.

Dec 14, 2017 11:09 AM in response to Eric Root

Sorry but I'm not very computer savvy. It was an update notice came across my screen and I clicked ok without studying it. I believe it was Microsoft. It did not affect my PDF documents. I can only open one Word doc and it says Activate Office to Create and Edit ... Start your free one month trial of Office 365 or sign in to activate an existing subscription. I don't want a free trial and have no subscription.

Any way to fix this without a big deal uninstall of an application?

How to uninstall an update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.