Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to convert EXTERNAL BOOTING SSD HFS+ with MacOS 10.12 Sierra to APFS-formatted with macOS 10.13 High Sierra?

How to convert EXTERNAL BOOTING SSD HFS+ with MacOS 10.12 Sierra to APFS-formatted with macOS 10.13 High Sierra? Is it recommended (pros and cons)? For instance, for Samsung Portable SSD T5. Thanks!

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), Booting from internal Apple SSD 2TB

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 11:06 AM

38 replies

Dec 15, 2017 10:19 AM in response to ApMaX

APFS is better... as in better taste, less filling. I know that's a flippant exaggeration but it's not too far from the truth.

There is a lot more along those lines in this Discussion:

Re: When I installed High Sierra on my external USB 3.0 SSD boot drive, APFS was not automatically applied to re-formatting that drive.

The only compelling reason to convert your external SSD is to satisfy your own curiosity.

Dec 15, 2017 2:00 PM in response to ApMaX

But I also understand that for internal High Sierra booting SSD, it is better to format as APFS, and that is why Apple does that automatically without allowing users to do otherwise. Right?

Better or worse doesn't matter. You don't have a choice. The HS installer will convert all-flash storage-equipped Macs to APFS with the emphasis on all-flash. As I wrote don't convert it on your own first, because I don't know what will happen if you do. Go ahead and convert it and find out for yourself. Then, you can be the expert.

All I know is that there have been many reports of problems from those who did, but their underlying causes are many.

But if that is so, my question is: what is the advantage of APFS for internal High Sierra booting SSD that do not have external ones?

APFS has certain undeniable advantages that you can read about for yourself here:

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/FileManagement/Concept ual/APFS_Guide/Introduction/Introduction….

That's all I can tell you, and the only thing to add to that is that Apple's concern is primarily with devices incorporating built-in all-flash storage. External devices are way, way down their priority list.

Dec 14, 2017 11:39 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks. I understand that you meant "Otherwise, it cannot..."? Right?

I understand that I can backup the booting external disk with an application like SuperDuper, format it as APFS, restore with SuperDuper and update to High Sierra. Is that correct?

Is such conversion from HFS+ to APFS-formatted recommended for such external booting disk (pros and cons)?

Thanks again.

Dec 14, 2017 11:52 AM in response to ApMaX

No, it's correct as written. I suggest reading the articles linked which should answer any questions about APFS including pros and cons.

APFS is Apple's filesystem of the future but it remains an incomplete system which works reliably only on SSDs. It is not recommended for HDDs or Fusion Drives. Unfortunately, only experienced developers probably understand it. It is quite different from HFS+, so even if you know that well it won't help much with APFS until you get yourself thoroughly educated. I do not qualify as an expert with APFS. My knowledge is superficial.

Dec 14, 2017 12:33 PM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy, as said by Lanny, it is an external SSD (not mechanical rotational HDD). On the other hand, you said:

"Only if the HFS+ drive is erased of all files can it be converted using Disk Utility. Otherwise, it can be formatted directly to APFS by Disk Utility".

So, to format as AFPS I need to previously erase the HFS+ drive (your first sentence), but you said that it can be formatted directly to APFS. I do not understand those two sentences, because they seem contradictory to me. In other words, can I convert EXTERNAL BOOTING SSD HFS+ with MacOS 10.12 Sierra to APFS-formatted with macOS 10.13 High Sierra? That is an honest question. Thanks for your support.

Dec 14, 2017 12:43 PM in response to ApMaX

You have to erase the drive before Disk Utility will give you the option to convert to APFS. Once you erase the drive it won’t be a bootable anything, so the question of whether it used to be a bootable Sierra drive makes no sense.

Note: At this point there is no real advantage in having an external drive formatted as APFS. The one external SSD that I experimented with had slower performance than with HFS+.

Dec 14, 2017 12:54 PM in response to Lanny

I know what he's talking about, Lanny. If it was an HDD there would be no point to my posts. I have been working with APFS since before its release, so I pretty much know what we can do with them when it comes to formatting. Apple has somewhat confused matters by forcing users to convert or reformat their SSDs using APFS without the users' awareness. I appreciate your comments but not really sure what led you to think I had the type of drive confused.

Dec 14, 2017 2:15 PM in response to Lanny

Lanny, you said "Once you erase the drive it won’t be a bootable anything, so the question of whether it used to be a bootable Sierra drive makes no sense".

After erasing the drive formatted as APFS, I will restore using SuperDuper, because I want it to be the original bootable disk. It will be Sierra after restoring. And then I will upgrade it to High Sierra. Is there any problem or disadvantage with such a process? Thanks.

Dec 15, 2017 6:24 AM in response to ApMaX

Since you asked, yes it can be done, yes I have done it.

Is it recommended (pros and cons)?

Recommended... by whom? Not Apple, anyway.

Advantages: A big shrug, mostly. APFS is better than HFS+ for a variety of reasons you already know about, but internal vs. external makes no difference to it.

Disadvantages: Apple does not specifically recommend it, nor do they specifically advise against it. Do it for your own edification or entertainment.

You did not explain your reasons for wanting to do it so I'm assuming it's just curiosity, which is the reason I did it. I found no noteworthy performance increases, nor did I find any particular disadvantages. It was boring. After a period of cursory testing I moved on to more important things.

Dec 15, 2017 6:40 AM in response to ApMaX

OK. I will make a Time Machine backup of bootable external SSD, format it as APFS, install High Sierra on it ...

Stop there. Back up or otherwise archive the contents of that SSD, but then just install High Sierra on it in the usual manner. The installer will perform the conversion to APFS. After it finishes, then installer will ask if you want to transfer information from another disk, same as it always has. That's the normal, extensively tested and deployed upgrade process.

Converting a Sierra boot volume to APFS and then installing HS is unconventional since the installer will expect to find a Sierra (or earlier) OS on an HFS+ formatted volume... not one already converted to APFS. I don't know what will happen if you perform the conversion first. At the very least I expect it won't boot Sierra any more. As long as you have a recovery plan, why not find out for yourself?

A firmware upgrade is incorporated in the HS upgrade, as was the case with earlier versions of OS X. The installer expects to find Apple-supported hardware. Since Apple does not write firmware for hardware they don't incorporate in the products they build, you may encounter a problem when that firmware upgrade attempts to install on your aftermarket SSD. Those problems may manifest is a failure to boot, or performance problems that may not be immediately evident. Once again, find out for yourself.

Dec 15, 2017 7:41 AM in response to John Galt

Hi John, the reasons are just that I assume that it would be better, since Apple is moving to APFS. And I asked because I know that Apple does the conversion automatically for internal booting SSD, but not for external ones. So, instead of doing something terribly wrong or useless, I asked the experts here.

Concerning your latest post above, will the High Sierra installer perform the conversion to APFS for an EXTERNAL booting disk? I thought it only does it for internal disks. Am I wrong?

Finally, I asked all this about Samsung Portable SSD T5, just in case someone has experience with it. You know, pioneers get the arrows... What is this forum for, after all... Thanks again for all your help.

How to convert EXTERNAL BOOTING SSD HFS+ with MacOS 10.12 Sierra to APFS-formatted with macOS 10.13 High Sierra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.