Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2.33Ghz 2Gb ram 120 Gb HD - Suggestions about O.S. I can install?

The complete specs of the machine:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.33 -15-specs.html

I am using the Mac Os Tiger (the same that came with the machine) in dual boot with Windows XP (boot camp).

I have had a lot of problems using Tiger + Windows XP (yes, it has not support anymore).

So, I decided to install Windows 7 in my machine.

After I had searched in google I could see it was not possible to install Win 7 using Tiger. I had to upgrade to Snow Leopard ($19.99) or Lion.

-

'This model shipped with Mac OS X 10.4.8 Tiger and supports OS X 10.7 Lion, but not 10.8 Mountain Lion or later.

Macintel models are the only Macs that can boot OS X from a USB hard drive. That should make a lot of Mac users happy, although it may be the beginning of the end for external drives with dual FireWire 400/USB 2.0 support.

Requires Mac OS X 10.4.8 to 10.7 Lion, not compatible with 10.8 Mountain Lion

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard compatibility

Grand Central Dispatch is supported.

64-bit operation is supported.

OpenCL is not supported with the Mobility Radeon X1600 GPU.'

-

After this search (and some others) I am thinking about to:

1. Install Lion and Windows 7 (with boot camp). Inside Windows 7 I can install VMWare + linux (maybe Ubuntu).

So, I could had 3 O.S. in this machine.

2. Install Snow Leopard and Windows 7 (using boot camp).

3. Maybe install Mountain Lion (if I upgrade the RAM).

In your bigger experience, what do you suggest?

No, I do not have interest to use Mac Os. My main interest is to use WINDOWS 7. But as I can not use this Mac Book Pro to anything this time I am trying to make it to work.
My litle son will use it to play games or learn something usefull.

If it was possible to install Win 7 using Mac Os Tiger it would be great.

I can not access websites using Tiger. It is a BAD experience. Opera, Firefox, Safari.. do not work with Gmail, etc. ('your browser has an old version and it is not supported'). If I try to upgrade, it does not install new versions of browsers.

Yes, I can try to upgrade RAM if necessary. But I think Mountain Lion needs at least 4 Gb ram.

Suggestions?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Core 2 Duo), Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 11:37 AM

4 replies

Dec 14, 2017 11:53 AM in response to DragonDF

Your 2006 MacBook Pro can only be upgraded to OS X Lion 10.7.5. If it came with 2 GB of RAM, you will want to upgrade that to 4 GBs, which is also the maximum it can handle. However, you are still going to run into issues with accessing secure websites as OS X Lion does not support TLS v1.2. Apple did not provide support for this protocol until OS X Mavericks & Safari 7.0. This shouldn't be an issue with Windows 7 under Boot Camp.

Ref: If Safari says it can't establish a secure connection, or the website is using weak encryption - Apple Support

Dec 14, 2017 3:09 PM in response to Tesserax

Thank your for you reply.

It can handle 3Gb of RAM, right? Nothing else. If I install 4 Gb RAM it will use only 3 Gb of RAM.

'you are still going to run into issues with accessing secure websites as OS X Lion does not support TLS v1.2. Apple did not provide support for this protocol until OS X Mavericks & Safari 7.0. This shouldn't be an issue with Windows 7 under Boot Camp.'

So, in the final, I will continue having problems using this Macbook Pro under Mac OS.

And If I install Windows 7 direct? Only it without any other Mac OS?
It runs Intel processor.

I can not use a laptop that I can not use websites.

Macbook Pro 2.33Ghz 2Gb ram 120 Gb HD - Suggestions about O.S. I can install?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.