Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does my iPhone keep deleting my music

I load music from CDs via iTunes on my PC. Lately, when I go to listen to my music, it only has the stupid download symbol and of course I am where there isn't wifi. I have turned OFF cloud storage. How can I get the iPhone to leave my music alone?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 14, 2017 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2017 7:45 AM

FYI, I logged out of iCloud and turned off the auto back-up to the cloud and it seems to have solved the problem. I guess there is a bug! No matter, I will back up to my PC.

Thanks for the info.

Ron

4 replies

Dec 15, 2017 8:35 AM in response to RonHarsh

Hi Ron,

I understand that you use iCloud Music Library to keep the music that you've imported from CDs on your iPhone. You've noticed that even after downloading the content to your device, sometimes it will disappear and you see the cloud symbol to indicate that it was removed from your iPhone. I'd like to point out a particular setting that I believe should clear this up.

If you navigate to Settings > Music, you should see a setting called "Optimize Storage" in the Downloads section. If you have this enabled, your iPhone will automatically remove music content that hasn't been played in a while to help you conserve storage space on your device. Can you confirm that this is enabled? If so, try turning it off and test for a while to see if you still notice the same behavior.

Cheers!

Dec 15, 2017 10:51 AM in response to raina_b22

Hi Becky and thanks for the response. I do not see the "optimize Storage" option but here are the details: I only have the cloud enabled for back-up and Find-my-iPhone. everything else is OFF including iCloud Drive! I load the CDs on my PC in iTunes and then connect my iPhone. When it syncs the iPhone it copies all the music to the iPhone as far as I can tell. Then later at the GYM where there isn't any WiFi when I open music it complains that the WiFi isn't connected but more importantly when I select a playlist which includes songs from several CDs the little cloud with the download arrow pops up next to the selection and there is no audio. Extremely annoying!

why does my iPhone keep deleting my music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.